Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair OTO drop test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tucson area, AZ

Pentair OTO drop test kit?

Does anybody know anything about the Pentair OTO test kit? I bought one at the pool store before buying the TF100. Anyway, one day when I was measuring my Ph, I had a little trouble telling what it was with the Taylor; it was somewhere between 7.4 and 7.8. So I got out the little Pentair kit, used that for measuring the Ph, and it turned very pink, looked like it was over 8.0! It said on the bottle of the reagent that it had chlorine neutralizers. I didn't have a high chlorine reading, btw. The chlorine reading was about 4.0. Anyway, does anyone know anything about the Pentair kits, or about Ph reagents that contain chlorine neutralizers?

This was right after we came back from our short vacation, so I still had trichlor tablets in a floater in the pool when I checked the Ph, if that makes any difference.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pentair OTO drop test kit?

All of the PH tests have some kind/amount of chlorine neutralizer. In general, the Taylor PH test is better at reading PH levels at high FC levels than most other brands.

A FC level of 4 shouldn't have made any difference. Perhaps your Pentair PH reagent has gone bad? How old is it?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pentair OTO drop test kit?

Pentair sells kits with pH reagents that have built in chlorine neutralizer and kits that have a separate bottle of neutralizer. However, if I remember correctly they say not to test pH when chlorine is above 3 ppm. (might have that confused with the AquaChem kit).