first time trying your expertise.

Jul 7, 2014
applevalley / MN
Water has been green for a week. Would like to clear it up by the 14th.

0 chlorine
7.8 ph
CH 225
TA 250
CYA 0

I added water this morning to vac/waste out any organic matter from the bottom of the pool. The test results were taken this evening. I added three 3" pucks to the lint trap.

Welcome to TFP. !
I can't argue with any of the advice Jason gave you.
Take the time to read the links he gave you and then do yourself a huge favor, order the test kit. Get the TF 100. It's that kit I use and the best value. Also get the XL-option. You'll need the extra reagents it gives you for the SLAM process.
Without the test kit we are not going to be able to help you clear this pool up. With it, it'll be a breeze to clear up and if you follow our methods you'll never have green water again. ?

Just to add to what has already been said, how did you get those test results, knowing what type of testing you used gives us a good idea of how much we should trust the confidence level of those results. Also can you tell us a bit of history on how you have been maintaining this pool before it turned green, and what led up to it turning green.

Just to add to what has already been said, how did you get those test results, knowing what type of testing you used gives us a good idea of how much we should trust the confidence level of those results. Also can you tell us a bit of history on how you have been maintaining this pool before it turned green, and what led up to it turning green.

I have been maintaining with 3" puck in each skimmer. I have 2 skimmers, I also would add a little shock here and there to get my chlorine levels up if it were low. The pool flipped green when I was approaching the end of a truck build that needed to get to a car show so I was putting in crazy long hours at work and basicly fell behind on testing and treating. I've always done ok but now I would like to expand my knowledge and understanding of what is happening with the pool.

Thanks for all the help!

It will say TF 100 on the the kit. Have you been reading the links provided to you ? Read them and when you have specific questions ask away ! All the links provided will get you started on cleaning this problem up. ��

I plan to. At church right now and a busy dad. But I will read them asap. I retested my CYA and chlorine quickly this morning to see if I got them closer to where they should be. The pucks I believe have the CYA in them but the view tube test reaults still indicated that I have none. I put some shock in the pool to at least offer the water some chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sodium hypochlorite 12.5%

It's Liquid Pool "Shock", just ordinary bleach. Know what you mean with "shock". You never know what is being referred to or what chemicals are being tossed in.

Attachments

• bleach Liquid-Pool-Shock.jpg
    bleach Liquid-Pool-Shock.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 118
Maybe it's time to post some numbers and a picture of the water looking down into the pool at the stairs. Helps give a reference with clarity and distance.
Are you running the pump/filter 24/7 ??
If you are at or below 10ppm FC you can test pH. Did you ever add any acid to bring the pH down from your first posting of 7.8 to something closer to 7.2 ??
Have you added any CYA to get up to 30ppm ?? If so how much and when ?? If you added to target 30 then your FC SLAM level should be 12. The tablets do add CYA but do so slowly as they dissolve. I think the rule thumb is it's 6ppm added CYA for each tablet. So if you truly had zero CYA then in a week you should see 18 if you don't vac to waste or backwash much. So you'd still need to toss in three more tablets to get up around 30. If you actually have stabilizer it would be faster to just toss some in a sock into your skimmer or in front of a return. We don't really recommend using the chlorinating tablets but right now you do need both the chlorine and the CYA. See recommended chemicals "Free Chlorine" - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals
How often are you testing and what is the FC dropping to between additions ?? It's helpful to us to "see" how much FC the pool is eating over how many hours.
What is your CC level at ??
If you spend a little time keeping the thread current with the pools chemistry and what you're doing it makes the SLAM easier to accomplish and the sooner you'll have sparkly blue water.
It's just a matter of staying one step ahead of the green monster. :shark:

Maybe it's time to post some numbers and a picture of the water looking down into the pool at the stairs. Helps give a reference with clarity and distance.
Are you running the pump/filter 24/7 ??
If you are at or below 10ppm FC you can test pH. Did you ever add any acid to bring the pH down from your first posting of 7.8 to something closer to 7.2 ??
Have you added any CYA to get up to 30ppm ?? If so how much and when ?? If you added to target 30 then your FC SLAM level should be 12. The tablets do add CYA but do so slowly as they dissolve. I think the rule thumb is it's 6ppm added CYA for each tablet. So if you truly had zero CYA then in a week you should see 18 if you don't vac to waste or backwash much. So you'd still need to toss in three more tablets to get up around 30. If you actually have stabilizer it would be faster to just toss some in a sock into your skimmer or in front of a return. We don't really recommend using the chlorinating tablets but right now you do need both the chlorine and the CYA. See recommended chemicals "Free Chlorine" - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals
How often are you testing and what is the FC dropping to between additions ?? It's helpful to us to "see" how much FC the pool is eating over how many hours.
What is your CC level at ??
If you spend a little time keeping the thread current with the pools chemistry and what you're doing it makes the SLAM easier to accomplish and the sooner you'll have sparkly blue water.
It's just a matter of staying one step ahead of the green monster. :shark:

I will work on pictures for you. The pool was very green at start (sunday) today it is much better. It's a cloudy blue green color now. I am running my filter 24/7 and always do. I have not added any acid since beginning the slam. On 8-3 at 12:20 my FC was 1.5ppm CC was 1ppm and I added 1 gallon of 12.5% chlorine at 9:45 FC was 2ppm CC 1.5ppm I added 1.25 gallons of 12.5% chlorine. At 8:30am on 8-4 the FC was 7ppm CC was 2ppm. I added .5 gallon of 12.5% chlorine. That evening at 7:20 my FC was 5ppm CC was .5ppm I then added .5 gallon of 12.5% chlorine. At 9:10 the FC was 6.5 ppm and CC 1.5ppm I added .5 gallon of 12.5% chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.