Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time trying your expertise.

1. Back To Top    #1

first time trying your expertise.

Water has been green for a week. Would like to clear it up by the 14th.

0 chlorine
    7.8 ph
    CH 225
    TA 250
    CYA 0

I added water this morning to vac/waste out any organic matter from the bottom of the pool. The test results were taken this evening. I added three 3" pucks to the lint trap.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first time trying your expertise.

Welcome to TFP!!!

You first stop should be in Pool School to read the ABCs of Water Chemistry to ensure we are talking the same language. I would also suggest reading How to Chlorinate Your Pool as it will also help.

To clear up your pool, you should follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and to do that you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test in the Recommended Test Kits. What kit are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

first time trying your expertise.

Welcome to TFP. !
    I can't argue with any of the advice Jason gave you.
    Take the time to read the links he gave you and then do yourself a huge favor, order the test kit. Get the TF 100. It's that kit I use and the best value. Also get the XL-option. You'll need the extra reagents it gives you for the SLAM process.
    Without the test kit we are not going to be able to help you clear this pool up. With it, it'll be a breeze to clear up and if you follow our methods you'll never have green water again. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to add to what has already been said, how did you get those test results, knowing what type of testing you used gives us a good idea of how much we should trust the confidence level of those results. Also can you tell us a bit of history on how you have been maintaining this pool before it turned green, and what led up to it turning green.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

You first stop should be in Pool School to read the ABCs of Water Chemistry to ensure we are talking the same language. I would also suggest reading How to Chlorinate Your Pool as it will also help.

To clear up your pool, you should follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and to do that you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test in the Recommended Test Kits. What kit are you using?
    I have the TF100 I believe
    23.9k gallon? (16'32') In ground, outdoor, Vinyl liner, hayward sand, TF100 testkit XL package.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Just to add to what has already been said, how did you get those test results, knowing what type of testing you used gives us a good idea of how much we should trust the confidence level of those results. Also can you tell us a bit of history on how you have been maintaining this pool before it turned green, and what led up to it turning green.
    I have been maintaining with 3" puck in each skimmer. I have 2 skimmers, I also would add a little shock here and there to get my chlorine levels up if it were low. The pool flipped green when I was approaching the end of a truck build that needed to get to a car show so I was putting in crazy long hours at work and basicly fell behind on testing and treating. I've always done ok but now I would like to expand my knowledge and understanding of what is happening with the pool.

Thanks for all the help!
    23.9k gallon? (16'32') In ground, outdoor, Vinyl liner, hayward sand, TF100 testkit XL package.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pool dad View Post
    I have the TF100 I believe
    It will say TF 100 on the the kit. Have you been reading the links provided to you ? Read them and when you have specific questions ask away ! All the links provided will get you started on cleaning this problem up. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    It will say TF 100 on the the kit. Have you been reading the links provided to you ? Read them and when you have specific questions ask away ! All the links provided will get you started on cleaning this problem up. ��
    I plan to. At church right now and a busy dad. But I will read them asap. I retested my CYA and chlorine quickly this morning to see if I got them closer to where they should be. The pucks I believe have the CYA in them but the view tube test reaults still indicated that I have none. I put some shock in the pool to at least offer the water some chlorine.

9. Back To Top    #9

For the SLAM process you want your CYA no higher than 30 for now.
    Totally understand the busy dad thing. In the same shoes. 😎
    Jeff

10. Back To Top    #10

What is this "shock" you keep mentioning? What is the ingredient?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I will have to check when I get home. Should be concentrated chlorine.. I bought it at a local hardware store.

12. Back To Top    #12

What is this "shock" you keep mentioning? What is the ingredient?
    Sodium hypochlorite 12.5%

13. Back To Top    #13

That's just liquid chlorine unless there's some other ingredients you're not telling us about.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Good that it is liquid. This is why we do not like the "shock" term because it means too many things to different people.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pool dad View Post
    Sodium hypochlorite 12.5%
    It's Liquid Pool "Shock", just ordinary bleach. Know what you mean with "shock". You never know what is being referred to or what chemicals are being tossed in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Well I have been "shocking" my pool for about two days now with a goal chlorine ppm of 10ppm. I have a TA reading of 250. Should I be doing something to get it closer to 100 to 120 range right now or wait until the sanitation stage is complete?

17. Back To Top    #17

Ignore the TA. Focus on the SLAM. Have you started adding any CYA?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Maybe it's time to post some numbers and a picture of the water looking down into the pool at the stairs. Helps give a reference with clarity and distance.
    Are you running the pump/filter 24/7 ??
    If you are at or below 10ppm FC you can test pH. Did you ever add any acid to bring the pH down from your first posting of 7.8 to something closer to 7.2 ??
    Have you added any CYA to get up to 30ppm ?? If so how much and when ?? If you added to target 30 then your FC SLAM level should be 12. The tablets do add CYA but do so slowly as they dissolve. I think the rule thumb is it's 6ppm added CYA for each tablet. So if you truly had zero CYA then in a week you should see 18 if you don't vac to waste or backwash much. So you'd still need to toss in three more tablets to get up around 30. If you actually have stabilizer it would be faster to just toss some in a sock into your skimmer or in front of a return. We don't really recommend using the chlorinating tablets but right now you do need both the chlorine and the CYA. See recommended chemicals "Free Chlorine" - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    How often are you testing and what is the FC dropping to between additions ?? It's helpful to us to "see" how much FC the pool is eating over how many hours.
    What is your CC level at ??
    If you spend a little time keeping the thread current with the pools chemistry and what you're doing it makes the SLAM easier to accomplish and the sooner you'll have sparkly blue water.
    It's just a matter of staying one step ahead of the green monster.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

Ignore the TA. Focus on the SLAM. Have you started adding any CYA?
    I have not added any CYA yet. Should I?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Maybe it's time to post some numbers and a picture of the water looking down into the pool at the stairs. Helps give a reference with clarity and distance.
    Are you running the pump/filter 24/7 ??
    If you are at or below 10ppm FC you can test pH. Did you ever add any acid to bring the pH down from your first posting of 7.8 to something closer to 7.2 ??
    Have you added any CYA to get up to 30ppm ?? If so how much and when ?? If you added to target 30 then your FC SLAM level should be 12. The tablets do add CYA but do so slowly as they dissolve. I think the rule thumb is it's 6ppm added CYA for each tablet. So if you truly had zero CYA then in a week you should see 18 if you don't vac to waste or backwash much. So you'd still need to toss in three more tablets to get up around 30. If you actually have stabilizer it would be faster to just toss some in a sock into your skimmer or in front of a return. We don't really recommend using the chlorinating tablets but right now you do need both the chlorine and the CYA. See recommended chemicals "Free Chlorine" - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    How often are you testing and what is the FC dropping to between additions ?? It's helpful to us to "see" how much FC the pool is eating over how many hours.
    What is your CC level at ??
    If you spend a little time keeping the thread current with the pools chemistry and what you're doing it makes the SLAM easier to accomplish and the sooner you'll have sparkly blue water.
    It's just a matter of staying one step ahead of the green monster.

I will work on pictures for you. The pool was very green at start (sunday) today it is much better. It's a cloudy blue green color now. I am running my filter 24/7 and always do. I have not added any acid since beginning the slam. On 8-3 at 12:20 my FC was 1.5ppm CC was 1ppm and I added 1 gallon of 12.5% chlorine at 9:45 FC was 2ppm CC 1.5ppm I added 1.25 gallons of 12.5% chlorine. At 8:30am on 8-4 the FC was 7ppm CC was 2ppm. I added .5 gallon of 12.5% chlorine. That evening at 7:20 my FC was 5ppm CC was .5ppm I then added .5 gallon of 12.5% chlorine. At 9:10 the FC was 6.5 ppm and CC 1.5ppm I added .5 gallon of 12.5% chlorine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast