Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have a hose bib on pipe between pump discharge and filter. What is its purpose?

1. Back To Top    #1

I have a hose bib on pipe between pump discharge and filter. What is its purpose?

I've had this pool for 20 years and still don't know why there is a hose bib installed between the pump outlet and the filter.

Can someone please tell me it's purpose?
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have a hose bib on pipe between pump discharge and filter. What is its purpose

maybe to hook up a pressure gauge??

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I have a hose bib on pipe between pump discharge and filter. What is its purpose

Could be. But the the pipe with the hose bib goes to the filter, which has its own pressure gauge.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hook up a hose there to drain the pool?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I do have a suction line for my Kreepy Krauley. If I set the valves to not draw from the skimmers, and only draw from the Kreepy, then position the Kreepy at the deep end, I think that would work to drain the pool. Maybe that's why the bib is there.

Thanks for that insight.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a hose bib on pipe between pump discharge and filter. What is its pur...

Some installers will add that bib there for pressure testing the plumbing prior to gunite. My PB installed a hose bib in that exact location and he asked me if I wanted it taken out. I told him I'd keep it.

It can be useful for slow drains while you let the equipment run. Since the hose bib is relatively small compared to the piping in the rest of the system, there's very little pressure loss. I've used it for doing slow drains (~5 gal/min flow rate through a standard garden hose) and I find it useful for bleeding air out of the piping that gets trapped when I open up the pump basket.

Mine is plastic so I suspect it will eventually start to leak. At that point I'll either remove it or replace it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Also for filling a dry pump before priming. Pool techs sometimes carry a short hose with two female ends to do this.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good information. Thanks, appreciate it.