Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lots of ph drift

1. Back To Top    #1

lots of ph drift

Hello - I have a plaster pool with a swg that is about 1 year old. I am still seein quite a bit of ph drift or at least weekly maint of ph (maybe this is normal). I am adding about 80 oz of acid weekly on a pool that is about 13000 gal. my numbers are:

salt 3400
    FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 8.4 today 7.2 a week ago
    ta 40
    cya 65
    ch 440
    temp 85
    csi -0.02

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lots of ph drift

Since your TA is low and you are still seeing substantial pH drift, it's probably not from carbon dioxide outgassing. You could consider adding 50 ppm Borates, but that may not reduce the amount of acid you need to add but should reduce the frequency of that addition.

By any chance are the returns into your pool close to the SWG (i.e. short pipe runs)? You could try pointing your returns (especially the closest one to the SWG) downward just in case the chlorine gas from the SWG cell isn't dissolving completely and some is outgassing which would cause the pH to rise.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: lots of ph drift

thanks for the info. I have hesitated adding borates because I catch the dog taking a drink once in a while, not often. my runs from the swg are at least 40 ft. I do have one outlet that crests the water when the pump is on high. maybe I will rotate it a little.

anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg