High and Dry in Indiana

Jul 31, 2014
Scottsburg, IN
Here we are in August and still not getting any good use out of pool. We bought home 3 summers ago that had pool. Was apparently very lucky first two summers to have clear water without having a clue as to what I was doing. Now the third year and it has been a mess from the start. Due to personal issues, did not get to open pool until mid-June. I had a massive algae problem, but with several recent shocks - appears to be much better. However, now the pool is super cloudy (can see about 18" down). I found this great site and ordered a TF100 testkit, which came in today. Initial testing shows: PH 7.5; Calcium Hardness 125; CYA 100; FC 1.5; CC 0.5; TC 2.0; and TA 180. I know I am low on chlorine and the TA and CYA are high, but not sure where to go from here. Thanks for any and all help!

photo.JPG

Hi jstigdon and welcome to TFP! :flower:

You, my friend, are ahead of the game! Way to go with the TF-100 test kit!

Since you've researched enough to know that the proper test kit is the key to your success, I'm guessing you've read up in Pool School and understand Pool Math??? Just in case, here's some links:

:lookhere: Getting Started It's a big help if you can put some pool specifics into your signature.

:lookhere: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

:lookhere: Extended Test Kit Instructions Since your CYA measures 100, I would do the extended test to see where it truly lies.

:lookhere: Back to a sparkling oasis! With that lovely shade of green going on in your pool, I would read this article as well.

PH 7.5; This is decent but if you can get it to about 7.2 with MA it will be better for your SLAM

Calcium Hardness 125; Depending on pool type this may or may not be ok. Vinyl liner pool - dont worry about it unless it's high and yours isn't.

CYA 100; - This is worrisome because the actual number could be much higher. Perform the extended test and report numbers here. Then we will talk water replacement.

FC 1.5; - obviously low. you need to add chlorine. the problem is we don't know how much until you get a good cya level to start.

:lookhere: How to chlorinate your pool Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. It will all sanitize. It's the mode of delivery that often creates problems. Until you get that CYA under control, liquid bleach/ liquid chlorine is your friend.

CC 0.5; - indicates a problem because this is the byproduct of the chlorine taking care of business. With green water, you got a lot of business to take care of.

TC 2.0; and

TA 180. - don't be concerned with this at the moment. we will get to that one day when you're staring at your sparkling clear water and want something to do because you're bored.

So, in summary, you have a green pool eating you out of house and home in chlorine. You need to adjust the pH and then SLAM the pool. SLAM is shock level and maintain. Maintain is key. SLAM is a process with a beginning and ending from hours to days.

:lookhere: SLAM!!!! The how-tos

Any questions, just ask. :)

HI jstigdon,
you need to first get your CYA down. It's way way way too high. Your high CYA is the primary reason you have been having these problems.

The test kit stops measuring CYA at 100. It may well be much higher than that. There is a definite effective relationship between Chlorine and CYA, so if CYA is too high, then the FC level must come up relative to it. Otherwise, the FC is not effective.

CYA can only be reduced by drain and refill. If you are going to ever have a troublefree pool, then the CYA must be managed properly. That's all there is to it.

If it were me, I would go ahead and drain 75%, then test for CYA again. When CYA measures within acceptable range for SLAM purposes ( about 20-30), then SLAM the pool.
Note: Just a FYI, Be careful draining the pool so it dont go too low, leave at least a12 or 18 inches of water in it. Much lower than that, and you risk displacing the liner.

A link has been proivded for you by northrn on how to SLAM.

Learning how to care for your pool and what it needs is what this forum is about, not just providing adivice like "do this or do that".

While you are in process of SLAMMING, start learning by reading the ABC's of Pool Chemistry. That's the starting point.
There is a lot to learn, and no one expects you to learn it all in a very short amount of time. So, keep posting and asking questions when they come up and there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here willing to help.

We look forward to your progress and we love seeing pics!
:)

Here we are in August and still not getting any good use out of pool. We bought home 3 summers ago that had pool. Was apparently very lucky first two summers to have clear water without having a clue as to what I was doing. Now the third year and it has been a mess from the start. Due to personal issues, did not get to open pool until mid-June. I had a massive algae problem, but with several recent shocks - appears to be much better. However, now the pool is super cloudy (can see about 18" down). I found this great site and ordered a TF100 testkit, which came in today. Initial testing shows: PH 7.5; Calcium Hardness 125; CYA 100; FC 1.5; CC 0.5; TC 2.0; and TA 180. I know I am low on chlorine and the TA and CYA are high, but not sure where to go from here. Thanks for any and all help!

View attachment 32448

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.