You Think You Have An Algae Problem...

jamis

Jul 18, 2014
Toledo, OH
The Toledo area is under a city water emergency since 1:00 AM today due to algae borne microcystin levels that exceed human consumption standards. We've been on bottled water all day and there is no end in sight. Glad I just got our pool cleared up so we have a good stable water source if it goes for a long time. Toledo gets its water supply from Lake Erie and this link shows you what the lake looks like now. Just try and SLAM this puppy.

http://epa.ohio.gov/Portals/28/KI9-12-11a_web.JPG

I wonder if they've ordered their TF-100 yet.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

The city has done over a hundred sample tests at 4 differet EPA labs so far and they can't get the same results from any of them. No idea when the use ban will be lifted and how they are going to purge the system when they do have a fix. Just brought home 7 gallons of bottled water for SWMBO to bathe and wash dishes in. The dog (boxer) has decided that she doesn't like bottled water, wiil only drink from the pool. At least she won't run out of water. I swam today after all of my yard work.

Suddenly my iron and hydrogen sulfide laden well water doesn't seem so bad! Luckily most of my friends/coworkers were with me in Cincinnati all weekend so they were able to shower this morning and buy water down there. Will have to have people over to bathe if it goes on any longer though.

They keep calling it algae, but it really isn't. It's "street name" is blue-green algae, but it is Cyanobacteria. I have plenty of it in my aquarium unfortunately, it gives off a very strong smell. I can only imagine what the lake smells like. Worst part is that the water temperature is only 69 degrees in that part of the lake. These are less than ideal conditions for it to grow and this happens. I'm very concerned about the future water situation, this could well become a yearly thing if they don't upgrade their system. Since it takes strong UV to kill it this is the only time I am suggesting a good UV system be installed :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.