Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: You Think You Have An Algae Problem...

1. Back To Top    #1

You Think You Have An Algae Problem...

The Toledo area is under a city water emergency since 1:00 AM today due to algae borne microcystin levels that exceed human consumption standards. We've been on bottled water all day and there is no end in sight. Glad I just got our pool cleared up so we have a good stable water source if it goes for a long time. Toledo gets its water supply from Lake Erie and this link shows you what the lake looks like now. Just try and SLAM this puppy.

http://epa.ohio.gov/Portals/28/KI9-12-11a_web.JPG
    I've gone out to look for myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    16x32x8 Fort Wayne Elite Polymer IG with vinyl liner and 8' acrylic end steps. Hayward S-200 sand filter with 220 VAC Super Pump and VariFlo valve. Installed in 1988.
    Jim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: You Think You Have An Algae Problem...

Wow!

it would take a lot of chlorine to clear that puppy up!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I wonder if they've ordered their TF-100 yet.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

Meh, just throw some pucks in it and "shock" it once a week. Should....maybe....someday..er....clear right up! Oh, and pour this bottle of algaecide in while you're at it.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

local pool shop said their water tested fine
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieta View Post
    local pool shop said their water tested fine
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I wonder if they've ordered their TF-100 yet.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Is there an xxxxxxxl option?
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

8. Back To Top    #8

The city has done over a hundred sample tests at 4 differet EPA labs so far and they can't get the same results from any of them. No idea when the use ban will be lifted and how they are going to purge the system when they do have a fix. Just brought home 7 gallons of bottled water for SWMBO to bathe and wash dishes in. The dog (boxer) has decided that she doesn't like bottled water, wiil only drink from the pool. At least she won't run out of water. I swam today after all of my yard work.
    I've gone out to look for myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    16x32x8 Fort Wayne Elite Polymer IG with vinyl liner and 8' acrylic end steps. Hayward S-200 sand filter with 220 VAC Super Pump and VariFlo valve. Installed in 1988.
    Jim

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Suddenly my iron and hydrogen sulfide laden well water doesn't seem so bad! Luckily most of my friends/coworkers were with me in Cincinnati all weekend so they were able to shower this morning and buy water down there. Will have to have people over to bathe if it goes on any longer though.

They keep calling it algae, but it really isn't. It's "street name" is blue-green algae, but it is Cyanobacteria. I have plenty of it in my aquarium unfortunately, it gives off a very strong smell. I can only imagine what the lake smells like. Worst part is that the water temperature is only 69 degrees in that part of the lake. These are less than ideal conditions for it to grow and this happens. I'm very concerned about the future water situation, this could well become a yearly thing if they don't upgrade their system. Since it takes strong UV to kill it this is the only time I am suggesting a good UV system be installed
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits