Bought 10x20 Intex Ultra Frame on Craigslist Need Advice

Aug 1, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I just bought a 10 x 20 x 52 ultra frame Intex Pool from a guy off craigslist. This pool has a sand filter and SWG. The pool is being emptied, and I take ownership of it tomorrow, so I don't have the make/model of the sand filter or SWG. Although both are Intex.

I've been reading a lot of articles in the pool school and about testing and adding chemicals. What I'm looking for and couldn't really find is articles on how to set one of these pools up, and how to get started with chemicals in the pool from the get go and get it right. Most everything I've read is how to test a pool that's already going or that has had problems pop up.

I don't want any problems to pop up. Any advice, or links to good threads on how to start up one of these pools would be most appreciated.

Also, in the poolmath calculator there are two boxes in the left column underneath "goal." Is this for where I am at and where I want to be?

I should add that I am planning on setting this pool up on a concrete slab that was originally for an RV. The pool might overlap onto the clay dirt ground next to the concrete pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my 18' intex from craigslist too. Its pretty self explanatory but there are some videos on the intex site as well as the manuals.

I would not think it is a god idea for it to overlap on to dirt but it will depend on how much. As for opening your pool there are a couple threads that I will let the experts point you towards I did mine a bit backwards.

Good luck!

Thanks, back2basics mom.

I guess my issue with opening the pool is what to do and in what order. I need to get a test kit and test the water, right? I assume I will have to get the FC up from zero. Also, does anyone know how many bags of salt I'll likely need on this size pool?

As I get more info (make/model of pump/filter) and after I buy a test kit and test the water I'll post the results.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to see how far the pool overlaps onto the dirt. If need be I was planning on buying 2" thick concrete pavers, digging out the dirt, and putting them in place level with the concrete slab at each point where a u-shaped support bracket will sit.

Get the best test kit you can afford. I started with the 6way HTC test kit from Walmart but if my pool holds out I will probably get the Taylor kit they recommend here. Keep reading and read again and you will be good to go :) I am by no means an expert but Iv'e learned so much and have had good luck with my pool water so far :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.