Opinions on the quality of filter sand

Sep 10, 2010
Does anyone have an opinion on the quality of filter sand? My local chain discount pool store sells a 50 pound bag of filter sand for $6.00, for me it seems easier to just dump the sand and replace it every couple of years. that way I can check the laterals and all the connections and know that my filter is completely clean and working correctly. I find that I do not get much of a rise in pressure between backwashes but if I do not backwash at least every 2 weeks the water starts to look cloudy. I was just wondering if there are differences in the quality of filter sand you can buy. I know about Zeobrite and am thinking about switching to that next year.

Thanks.

Sand is sand, as long as it's the correct size. There are very mixed opinions on zeobrite. Some rave about it, and others are sorely disappointed.

Except for a few specific circumstances, sand should never need to be replaced, and a sand filter with plain number 20 silica sand will keep a pool crystal clear. If it's not, there is likely an underlying chemistry problem.

OP, are you getting a pressure rise between backwashes? What is your psi after and before a backwash? Everyone has told me you don't need to replace sand (unless you're pumping into the pool), just clean it.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.