Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opinions on the quality of filter sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Opinions on the quality of filter sand

Does anyone have an opinion on the quality of filter sand? My local chain discount pool store sells a 50 pound bag of filter sand for $6.00, for me it seems easier to just dump the sand and replace it every couple of years. that way I can check the laterals and all the connections and know that my filter is completely clean and working correctly. I find that I do not get much of a rise in pressure between backwashes but if I do not backwash at least every 2 weeks the water starts to look cloudy. I was just wondering if there are differences in the quality of filter sand you can buy. I know about Zeobrite and am thinking about switching to that next year.

Thanks.
    24 X 52¯round, Vinyl AGP, 150 lb Sand 1.5 hp filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opinions on the quality of filter sand

Sand is sand, as long as it's the correct size. There are very mixed opinions on zeobrite. Some rave about it, and others are sorely disappointed.

Except for a few specific circumstances, sand should never need to be replaced, and a sand filter with plain number 20 silica sand will keep a pool crystal clear. If it's not, there is likely an underlying chemistry problem.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Regular #20 seems to work fine and as was said rarely needs to be replaced. Instead of replacing it you benefit from cleaning it - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...028#post708028
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I find that I do not get much of a rise in pressure between backwashes but if I do not backwash at least every 2 weeks the water starts to look cloudy.
    Like smykowski, I think you have a chemistry issue but that's just a WAG without test results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

OP, are you getting a pressure rise between backwashes? What is your psi after and before a backwash? Everyone has told me you don't need to replace sand (unless you're pumping into the pool), just clean it.
    Last edited by jamis; 08-03-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added blather
    I've gone out to look for myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    16x32x8 Fort Wayne Elite Polymer IG with vinyl liner and 8' acrylic end steps. Hayward S-200 sand filter with 220 VAC Super Pump and VariFlo valve. Installed in 1988.
    Jim