Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NEED HELP - Pressure side pool cleaner recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Farmington Hills / Michigan

NEED HELP - Pressure side pool cleaner recommendation

I need a new pool cleaner. I had an old Polaris 380 that I would like to replace. Thinking about either a new Polaris 3900 Sport or a Pentair Kreepy Krauly Racer. Does anybody have familiarity with either of these units and how would you rate it?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento CA

Re: NEED HELP - Pressure side pool cleaner recommendation

Please read the intro/rules and recommendations.
    Your signature block should contain your pool data - AG, IG, size, equipment installed, any special notes. If you live is especially hot areas, that burns off chlorine faster, so state where you are.

Now: Noobdy can tell you (even with all your data) which cleaner is best for you, and this group is reluctant to give specific recommendations re equipment.

You'll see a lot of post re problems with various Pentair - that is not because Pentair makes poor quality cleaners - it is because they are the most popular (or very close to most), and have a huge installed base.

Look at your pool, its bathing load, how much crud gets in, its size and shape.
    The folks at the pool stores will be happy to make very specific suggestions; they will almost always suggest the one with the highest profit margin, or the one which was obsolete 2 years ago and they still haven't sold it.
    Yes, I'm cynical.

So get your info into your sig block (5 lines max, please) and start reading.

p.s. welcome!
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

Hello, and welcome to TFP!

I'm a big fan of robotic cleaners, but it really depends on your pool size and your goals whether or not a robotic is right for you. I like the fact you don't need additional pumps, etc., for robotic cleaners, and they can do really big pools like mine without issues.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Like RobbieH, I like robotics. Generally, you end up paying for cleaning horsepower so the size of your pool is COMPLETELY relevant to type and cost of cleaner you select.

There is an article in Pool School that may help you select.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School