CYA and amount of bleach needed, does this sound right?

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
This is my 3rd summer in a new house with an inground pool (est. 30,000 gallons). I have been using the TFPC method since I moved in (I think it was called the BBB method previously). I never had any CYA in the pool which I thought was strange b/c I think the proper owner used the pucks. I had been putting 121 oz. of bleach in the pool each day for the last two years which would keep my FC levels at 2ppm by the next morning. I decided to try CYA about two weeks ago and added about 13 lbs of it, which raised the levels to 50. And now I find that if I add only 60oz of bleach, it will keep my pool above the recommended FC level of 4 for three days. That is a drastic change and while I am pretty confident in my testing ( i use the TFT kit recommended on here), I guess I wanted to see if that sounded reasonable to the more knowledgeable people on here. Also, I drain my pool just the below the returns in the fall, should I expect to lose most of my CYA by next spring?

Depending on the environmnt you are in, it would not be ultra strange to have your experience.
your location, how much shade, how much stuff gets in your pool, covered or not, etc all contribute to how often you need to add chlorine. Almost all pools are a bit different and mileage varies.
IF your test kit says what it does, then trust it and be happy! :)

Its not unheard of at all for folks to have similar experience as you.

As for the winterizing, yeah, you will loose some CYA by draining. Just check it when opened and bring it back up. easy as pie.

I drain in winter and you only loose "some". You loose what was in the water and it does seem as some more disappears over the winter but it doesn't all "evaporate". One small addition at the beginning of the year and I'm pretty much good.
Keeping a 30+ppm CYA saves you money in chlorine.

It's best to test daily but if you are adding every four days maybe cutting back on the amount you add so you need to add every other day would be a better plan. That way you aren't overdosing by so much.

Thanks guys. I'm still trying to figure out how much to add so that I don't overdose it. if I can get it to only having to add once every other day I think it would be fine. I just can't believe the amount of bleach I need is about 1/4 of what i used to need, not that I am complaining. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.