Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pre-dissolving Borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Pre-dissolving Borax

Every time I use Borax to raise my PH, I pour what ever I need into a 5 gallon bucket of water and mix to dissolve before poring into the pool, but it never dissolve fully and usually left with a lot of borax in solid form. What's the best way to dissolve the Borax or apply it. Can I just sprinkle the borax directory into the pool?
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pre-dissolving Borax

You can pour it directly in the skimmer with pump running. Just don't overload it all at once.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pre-dissolving Borax

Your fine doing it that way. Warm water helps some with the dissolving in the bucket. The rest of it will dissolve in the pool fairly quickly. Pour it slowly in front of the return with the pump running and leave it run for awhile. It'll dissolve.
    If your PH is 7.2-7.8 your fine. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Great, thanks !
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

I just pour my Borax directly into the filter, and let the water flow dissolve it.
    As an aside, I see you are also from NJ. Do you by chance happen to have well water?
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi John, thanks for the tip. I get my water from NJ American Water, not well water.
    Dohney Discovery Robot

7. Back To Top    #7

I thought maybe you had water like mine, since you have to use Borax to raise your pH. I have a well, and the pH happens to be around 4.5, so whenever I add water, I have to raise the pH. Maybe NJ American is acidic like my well?

I just noticed your signature says you use bleach and trichlor, so maybe that explains the pH dropping. Just remember to keep an eye on your CYA, either way.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.