Filter glass, ZeoSand, Sand or what?

br1ght

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 18, 2014
International Falls, MN
Designing our 1st permanent AG pool to replace our 20' pipe and bag softside style pool with a 1650 Intex sand filter/pump.

I'm trying to figure out filtering. I'd prefer to use either a sand or cartridge type filter. I really like the idea of staying with a backwashable filter but would like the clarity of a filter media that goes to the single digits (sub 10 microns). I have maintained 2 commercial pools both with sand filters and saw the lack of filtering that sand does... So I'm looking towards recycled glass media. I'd love to hear from people who have actually used recycled glass in their pool filter and their results... TYIA

Thanks everyone. I've read elsewhere on the forum and in product reviews similar comments about ZeoSand.

I've been adding D.E. to my sand filter for 3 1/2 (out of 5) seasons (after reading about it on the forum) and am not convinced it helps at all with my equipment. The Intex filter does a great job of clearing the big stuff out but the fines, the stuff that shows when swimming under the lights, it does a typical sand filter quality of clearing regardless of if it's got D.E. added or not...

To me, a high quality crushed glass makes a lot of sense in a well engineered filter unit.... I just don't want to have to repeat others' mistakes if we have members that have worked the kinks out and found the best products to use.

br1ght

I realize this thread is well aged, but I wanted to clarify (pun unitensional) my prior post... I said I wasn't getting any visible results out of adding DE to my sand filter with my old pool... well, it helps if you are adding the correct DE... I was adding agricultural grade DE which is drastically different than filter DE that has undergone heat treating according to another thread... So now I know why my pool was going instantly milky each time I added the wrong DE...

So if DE isn't working for your sand filter, perhaps you to were sold the wrong stuff...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.