Pool Pump size question, please advice

May 28, 2014
North Dallas
Hi, please help me and determine what is going on in my pool builder's mind.

I am in the process of having our backyard pool build, and we are at the stage of having the equipment installed. Silly me.....I did not do a lot of research prior of starting the process, and I found this site afterward and learned a lot and wish that I had done things differently. Basically I went with a architecture firm, which generated a master plan for the backyard makeover with a pool outdoor living.. The architecture firm has their own team of pool builder, landscaper, construction division, everything is turn key construction. So, in my contract, I do not have the list of equipments that are going to be installed in this project. The PB did gave me a folder contains the consumer brochures for the equipments that are going in. Mostly Pentair product.

When it come time to install the equipment at the beginning of the week, a wrong pool pump (Pentair Challenger 3HP 2 speed high pressure pump) was installed for the pool instead of the right one (Pentair Intelliflo VS Intelliflo pump). They also install a separate pump Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed 2HP for the Infinity Spa (8'x8' with 8 jets), and water features (3 of the 3 feet long sheer descents for the water wall and 3 bubblers on the wetdeck). Of course, I asked the PB to switch the main pool pump from the Challenger to Intelliflo VS pump since the Intelliflo pump was in my equipment brochure, not the Challenger. They initially said that they ordered per contract. Then they told me later that they ordered the right one (intelliflo) but Pool Corp Inc delivered the wrong pump. So, they will come and switch.

They came today, brought the Intelliflo for the main pool. However, they then took away the originally installed Pentair Whisperflo 2HP pump for the water features and spa away, and installed the Challenger 3HP to the spa and water features instead.

So, I am totally confused...

Is the Challenger 3 HP better for as many water features that I have plus a infinity spa? Because it needs a lot of power? Or is it totally an over kill? I have not seen anyone has two 3HP pumps for their pool. My pool is 72 feet in length and 10 feet wide with an in pool dry deck making the actual swim portion of the pool including wetdeck about 40 feet, and the waterwall with three sheer decents and wetdeck with 3 bubblers are on the opposite end to the spa. Or do they just really want to get rid of that Challenger pump to save them a few dollars?

I emailed PB and they have not respond.

Please help.

Why did the PB use a single pump for the spa and water features? You won't be able to run both at the same time. It makes much more sense to have a single pump for just the spa jets and another pump for everything else.

As to the size of the SPA pump, it kind of depends on the spa jet used. If these are 15 GPM jets, that is a total of 120 GPM which would be tough for a Whisperflo 2 HP to produce. It would be much easier to get the flow rate you need from the Challenger. However, it might be slightly over sized for the job but the PB probably wanted to make use of it. Hopefully then used 3" pipe with that much flow rate.

equtu4eb.jpg

So After seeing the above comment, I went and study the plumbing at the pad. Water features are connected to give Challenger pump, and the rest are connected to the Intelliflo VS pump. So is this then less of worry regarding the pump size? Both of them are the pump.
se5aju5y.jpg

u4udesa7.jpg

pypedunu.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.