Algae Right before Vacation

Sep 1, 2013
Nazareth, PA
I noticed today that the pool has some dirt looking spots across the bottom and on one side where the wall meets the floor there appears to be some green color. Im leaving for vacation at the crack of dawn for 8 days and no one will be around to look after the pool. Any recommendations? Should i raise the FC to shock level and keep the filter on while I'm away (my CYA is 40)? Im hoping to not come back to a swamp any help is appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Raising to shock and running the pump while you are gone is about all you can do without a caretaker. How do you normally chlorinate?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
Is the current signature correct?

What was you plan for your vacation before you noticed the algae?
How do you chlorinate?

Best you can do is raise to shock level, and cover the pool and deal with it when you return.

My signature is correct, and i updated my location.

I chlorinate with liquid bleach and my FC is usually around 4 with a CYA of 40. This has been a bad week at work leading up to vacation (15+ hr days) so the pool didnt get bleach everyday. Originally i had a caretaker lined up but that fell through. When i looked in the pool after packing up the SUV i freaked cause the water has been crystal clear all summer.

Welcome to TFP !
Ya know what, it's only pool water. Nothing that can't be fixed.
Go enjoy your vacation, I'm sure your looking forward to it and when you get back we'll help ya fix it. ?

Totally agree with Jeff. Go enjoy the vacation because you're going to come back to a green pool whether you SLAM it or not. Just shut the pump off and go. :goodjob: We'll be here for ya once you get back. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.