Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Last owner left yellow jugs of chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Last owner left yellow jugs of chlorine

When we moved into our house, I found some of the yellow jugs of chlorine in the pool house. At least I am assuming it's liquid chlorine.

I am not sure what to do with liquid.

I am not inclined to add it to the pool since I don't really know what it is and we have a SWG so I don't really need it either.

Any suggestions?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    15K Gallons, IG, Vinyl, 1HP Single Speed Pump, Sand, SWG, NG Heater + Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Last owner left yellow jugs of chlorine

Usually they will have a printed date code on the side of the bottle. Based on that you can get a ballpark of how old and how much strength it has lost. It may be mostly water and salt at this point but not harmful to try.

No legible label?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I would dump it if it were me not knowing for sure.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

No guarantees what it is, but I deal with two local pool stores that sell 12% liquid chlorine in reusable yellow plastic jugs. Jugs are 10 litres. One of them even has the pool sore logo on the side.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

5. Back To Top    #5

No label of any kind. It's a yellow jug of the type you see at pool stores to buy liquid chlorine and it smells like chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you dump it down the drain as is or should I dilute it first?
    15K Gallons, IG, Vinyl, 1HP Single Speed Pump, Sand, SWG, NG Heater + Solar Panels

6. Back To Top    #6

Keep it. Use if you have a pool party, high bather load or the such. It's good to have some on hand.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

You could test it. Courtesy of chem geek in this thread: Testing strength of 12.%...

1/4 teaspoon of 6% bleach in 2 gallons of chlorine-free (and chlorine-demand-free) water is 10 ppm FC. 1/4 teaspoon of 12.5% chlorinating liquid in 2 gallons is 20.4 ppm FC so 1/8th teaspoon is 10.2 ppm FC.

If you have a spare Taylor or TFTestkits bottle from one of the reagents (especially the titrating ones), then they are 24 drops per ml so 24 drops is 1/5th teaspoons. 1/4 teaspoon is about 30 drops. 1/8th teaspoon is around 15 drops.

You could do this, then take a sample of the solution you make and test it with the FAS-DPD chlorine test and get a good idea...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I am so tempted to test it just for the coolness factor of the process