Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot stablize chlorine level

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot stablize chlorine level

It does not matter how many bags of shock that I use the chlorine level will go up for a day or so and then back to zero. I also have a chlorine feeder that feeds 3 to 4 tabs (3 inch) weekly. The pool itself looks beautiful. I have been multiple bag shocking the pool for 6 weeks. Initially there were orange stains which the shocking did clear up but there are white small floaters that have not filtered out. The pool store owner just keeps telling me to shock, shock, shock but it does not seem to be working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

My pool chemical results are as follows:

1. free available chlorine 0
    2. total available chlorine 0
    3. calcium hardness 450
    4. cyanuric acid 50
    5. total alkalinity 80
    6. PH 7.4
    7. copper 0
    8. iron 0
    9. total dissolved solids 1200
    10. phosphates 100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Cannot stablize chlorine level

Welcome to TFP!!!

You need to stop listening to the pool store and stop trusting their testing. The path you are on is likely making your problems worse.

Start your journey to understanding in Pool School by reading these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You are then going to need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits so that you KNOW what is going on in your water.

This is not as hard as it initially seems and there are 100s here willing to help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Welcome to TFP!

I'm suspicious that your CYA is as low as 50ppm. Tabs increase it rapidly and you get into situations like you have where the chlorine just can't fight what is in the water because of the CYA.

Check out ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, then read SLAMing Your Pool

You'll want to stop using any form of powdered chlorine and the tabs, because it all adds CYA or calcium, and you are at high enough levels for those already.

Our method is like a sniper, while the pool store advice is like firing a shotgun blindly and hoping you hit something.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

There is a lot of learning ahead. It's a steep curve, but then you just coast. One thing you must understand is that your pool is like a living creature. It has its own personality and its own appetite and it needs to be fed every day. You can't fast for 3 or 4 days and then catch up at the all-you-can-eat buffet.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Our method is like a sniper, while the pool store advice is like firing a shotgun blindly and hoping you hit something.
    ^^Best quote I've seen around here in a long time!!^^
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry