Jul 18, 2014
West Chester, PA
New pool owner. Recently switched over to BBB. Water Clarity around 85% (missing that last little sparkle). Clear to drain in deep end but a little blurry.

Some areas of the pool have a brownish "powder" along the bottom. When you waive or kick your feet close to vinyl liner it kind of blows away. Easily sweeps away with the pool brush. Nothing really sticking to vinyl and only some areas have this light dusting. Hard to see it unless you sweep it. Is this algae?? If so, is it alive or dead? Its been around for like 2 weeks with no improvement or spreading. This am I raised FC from 6 to 10 to see if any improvement. Nothing changed.

Slam time, and if so, according to CYA/FC chart my goal is around 32ppm for algae slam right? If I do slam, when is safe to re-enter the pool. Kids.

Taylor Test Results:

FC 10
CC 0
PH 7.4
ALK 100
CH 150
CYA 55

TIA

You can swim up to the shock level with no issues. So keep it up at shock level while you can and let it drift down a bit for them to swim when you want. It will slow does the SLAM process a little bit, but a pool is meant to be swam in ... especially if you are just missing a little sparkle ;)

The brownish stuff could be dead algae. When you touch it does it poof up and disappear ? If it does it's probably dead algae.
With your CYA level at 55 I would round up and use 60. Your FC range would be a min of 5 and you should be targeting 9. SLAM level is 24. How are you chlorinating your pool now ? Have your FC levels dropped below the min at all lately ?
I'm going to suggest you do an OCLT Test to confirm if you have organics or not.
Here are a couple of good articles from pool school to read.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. ?

I was told by another expert on here that the brown stuff at the bottom IS dead algae and the only way to get rid of it is to either A) vacuum and backwash B) vacuum to waste, but then you will need to add water after - My opinion: vacuum to waste and refill so that there is no chance of the dead stuff reentering

Thank you all. I will try the oclt test tonight and see what it says in the am. I run the filter for a couple hours in the middle of the night. Is this ok for the oclt test or should I keep everything off?

Yes, when you touch or wave hand near the brown dust, it kind of blows away and disappears into the water. Hoping it's just dead algae.

I'm chlorinating with liquid bleach 18%. (That's what pool store told me it was). Is that even possible? Seams to be accurate according to pool math.

On a hot sunny day, pool uses around 2-3 ppm during the day. I then add about a qt (32ozs) each day to put back those 2-3ppm.

If I do have to slam (after oclt results), pool math says algae slam 32, is this what I should be aiming for or should I be slamming at the 24 or so level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.