Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with algae (and probably other) problems.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with algae (and probably other) problems.

Hi all,

Just ran multiple tests with my new TF-100 kit. (First Time). I've been having an on/off problem with algae--brushing takes it away but it returns rapidly. Daily BASIC TESTING results have consistently given high level for CL and also have had constant high PH. I add muriatic acid 2-4 times per week.
    Today's test shows CL low AT .5 and PH at 7.8 I need some help on what to do immediately instead of simply dumping in chlorine.

My Data:
    15,000 gal pool, 30y/o, plaster finish.
    Variable speed pump.
    Current pool temp 77 deg.

CYA 100
    FC .5
    CC 0
    TA 120
    CH 750

Any helpful response will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank You.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with algae (and probably other) problems.

Your cya could be well over 100. Use half pool water/half tap water and multiply the resulting reading times two to start with. I'd prepare to drain and replace a good bit of water. Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA 100
    That's a problem. You probably aren't maintaining a high enough FC level to compensate for the high CYA. You should try to reduce the CYA level by doing a partial drain and refill if possible. Look in the Pool School and find the information about the FC/CYA relationship. This will help explain why you should lower CYA. IMO, that is your #1 problem.
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the speedy reply. I did the tap/pool water test and CYA is 120. I live in San Diego County and am loathe to empty the pool because we are in a severe drought situation here. Is there any other possible "fix" for my problem that would allow me to keep the water I have for the time being?

Again, many thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

According to the chart, with a CYA of 120 you should maintain minimum FC of 7, with a target of 12. However, with CH of 750 you run the risk of calcium scaling at these levels. If you could get your CYA down to 80 or 90 it would help quite a bit, but this requires replacing roughly 1/3 of your water (about 5000 gallons). To hit 12ppm FC, you would add 260 oz. of 8.25% bleach.

Unfortunately there isn't any easier way to reduce CYA.
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Wick View Post
    Thank you for the speedy reply. I did the tap/pool water test and CYA is 120. I live in San Diego County and am loathe to empty the pool because we are in a severe drought situation here. Is there any other possible "fix" for my problem that would allow me to keep the water I have for the time being?

Again, many thanks!
    Water replacement or reverse osmosis are the only two options you have.
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank You much for the suggestions. I will be doing research on this.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Wick View Post
    Thank You much for the suggestions. I will be doing research on this.
    http://poolservicestech.com/ offers reverse osmosis, and you're probably within their service area.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!