Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Once MA always MA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Once MA always MA?

I'm curious regarding this scenario. Let's say a particular pool has a mustard algae problem and it was properly addressed. If this pool were to drift below safe levels of the FC, would it get mustard algae again? Regular one? Both?

And in more generic terms - what is the actual source of algae of any kind? Let's imagine that there is a pool with virgin clean water. If we let it go, how does it start developing algae and where does it come from?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Once MA always MA?

Yes, you'll get algae if you don't maintain proper levels of chlorine. Imagine yourself in a moist environment plus humidity and junk flying through the air - all this happening without you being able to use soap and not being able to move around.

Try putting a pop bottle filled with tap water on a window ledge. Depending on the heat and lack of circulation you'll see algae in a few days.

3. Back To Top    #3

"Many species of algae are really just single cells. These cells can survive out of water for long periods of time, often as a resting phase, like a spore. The spores are literally everywhere in the atmosphere of earth. They are kind of like pollen in that regard.

If you sterilized your pool completely and then left it open to air, new spores will blow in and start growing.

More complex species or tender species of algae are tranported between separate bodies of water by animals like aquatic birds - ducks, herons, etc. These guys probably do not frequent your pool."

Read more: http://www.physicsforums.com
    http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=241434

4. Back To Top    #4

i think i might not have been clear on my question. of course you will get algae if the levels are lower that required, that's kinda given.

my question was - if a pool had mustard algae that was properly addressed and if that pool drifted into low FC levels again, is it likely that it will get mustard algae back as opposed to regular algae?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

5. Back To Top    #5

In the general sense that there was more potential for some MA to have been left behind, then yes. Otherwise, I'm not sure it would be, unless there was much more of a spore source in your location than say, mine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

That's potentially an impossible question to answer. But since I like riddles, here's my opinion.

Yes, but not due to anything in the pool itself. I'd say that if a pool has had mustard algae, there's something in it's general vicinity which donated the spores....so that would still be the case later. Of course I don't have all the info avail on mustard algae, but this is my opinion. It's worth what you paid.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    I'd say that if a pool has had mustard algae, there's something in it's general vicinity which donated the spores....so that would still be the case later.

I was thinking that after reading Tedb's response. I think it makes sense.

Thank you all.