Pool Water Temperature?

Jun 10, 2014
Heiskell, TN
I'm curious - whats your average & comfortable water temperature?

We put our AG pool in this year, we have a lot of trees surrounding our property and while the pool area does get some direct sun during the day, my pool always seem way too cold, granted I'd rather have it cool than like bath water but there are some days its almost too cold to swim! I've been using Liquid Cover free because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of a solar cover, but I broke down and bought a solar cover the other day, put it on yesterday, its the blue top w/silver bottom, as of last night it hadn't made any difference, the water temp was 75.4 degrees (brrrr)

so, I was just curious, what do you swim in as far as water temp, am I just being a big baby? :-?

We have an IG pool and the family likes it in the mid 80s. That isn't cheap in terms of NatGas to heat but I put in solar panels to help. IMHO even paying $1k per year for NatGas makes sense if i9t substantially increases the amount that your pool is used. Putting in an IG pool and doing all of the related landscaping gets you easily into six figures.

I am in Northern NJ.

Comfortable for me is anything above 72 (that is with a well mixed pool, not 72 in some spots and artic pockets in others)

With good weather and my solar cover (a clear one) I can get my pool up to the low 80's.

It was up to 78 as week, but with the last weeks weather, which was beautiful from a walking around standpoint, not so much from a swimming standpoint, it was down to 70 this morning.

-dave

ahh yes this crazy weather, seems like for the last 10 years I have complained how hot it is, then this year we put in a pool and 2 nights ago we hit a record low of 56! We're in East Tennessee and everybody is so happy with that great, as you say, 'walking around weather' but it sucks as swimming weather. I got in the pool the other night to clean out all the leaves and branches from the bad storms of Sunday (there were tornadoes in the next county over) and my husband kept saying, "you need to get out of the pool, I think your lips are blue" lol

hopefully the solar cover will get me to high 70's for low 80's in the next day or 2 so I can swim!

The solar cover is going to help a lot with heat loss at night.
The key to having warm water is the amount of sun it gets. My pool gets 10-11 hours of full sun. Southern exposure. Water temps have been 84-90. The cover being on at night has kept it this way.
When you have nice warm sunny days leave cover off. You'll get better heating with it off and the sun on it. If your getting more shade than sun it's going to struggle. ?

We have an IG pool and the family likes it in the mid 80s. That isn't cheap in terms of NatGas to heat but I put in solar panels to help.

Same here. If not in the mid80s the skinny grand babies shiver and turn blue. And I checked with Seattle outdoor public pools and they too run in the mid80s for recreational child swimming.

But as you say is not cheap for heating since our environmental "summer" water temp is high 60s.

But then, how much is a grand baby giggle worth? So we plug on...

Since my pool has only been up for a couple of weeks and the weather has been was it is, I have only seen 72 at best LOL. I don't mind 72 but 76-78 would be fine for me. I will consider a heater after I get a real season under my belt.

My pool has averaged 75 or less this summer, with some days at 78-80 (not enough of them!) And many at below 75. I like it the best at 80-82, if it's warm enough to reach those temps, I want to get cooled off. Yesterday it was only 72 degrees. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in same spot as you, I have a very shaded pool because of huge oak tree so the pool hovers around 78-80. In May, it was around 74 and I used an opaque solar cover to get it to the 78 range...now its so hot that the temperature has stabilized to 80 but not much higher and I don't use the cover any more.

I'm in hot Los Angeles, but I'm very happy with an 85 degree pool. We also have a solar cover, Clear Diamond, and if we leave it on during the day the temperature will rise 5 degrees, otherwise the temperature stays fairly consistent between 82-85 degrees.

In Wisconsin, I haven't dipped below 80 it seems this whole season. When sun it out pool get full sun all day long. Keep solar cover on daily and I average right around 82-86 degrees daily with sun. It kinda stinks that lately we don't want to get out of the pool cause the air temp is cooler than the water! Funny watching my kids run from the pool to the sun porch shivering from the air.

I live in northern MN. We have been doing A LOT of experimenting to find that "perfect" temp. The problem is...each person, environment, etc is different. Our daytime air temps are generally around 70-75 deg in the summer, at times rising to the 80's and rarely into the 90's. So, a warmer pool is almost a must because when you stick your head or body out of the water, you freeze!

We have been able to get our pool up to 82 pretty consistent (with just a solar cover, 100% sun all day...we also put black sheeting around the southside of our pool to help transfer heat to the sides of the pool (not sure how much this helps)). 82 might sound nice...but when the air temp is only 70-75, 82 is cold...at least to me and my family. My brother lives in balmy, humid, hot TN...air temps almost always 85-95 deg, so 82 would be perfect.

We are hoping to get our pool to at least 85. We are doing a lot of tests with covers, black sheeting, tarps, solar covers, wood heat, no covers, etc. At night we keep the solar cover on, intex cover that came with the pool, and recently 2" pink foam board on top of all of that to hopefully hold in even more heat. We have found that we lose the heat at night and then have to "fight" to get it back up to swim temps.

My pool is 83 today. I prefer it slightly warmer but anything above about 78 is fine as long as the sun is out. When the water temp drops to the mid 70's I'll wear a shorty wetsuit. When it drops below 70 it is time to pack the pool away for the winter.

Last summer was very hot and my water was in the high 90's for about two weeks straight. I never thought I would say my pool was too hot, but it really was especially during the day. At night it was great. This summer is just the opposite and I'm wishing for a little bit of that heat!

I'm 65 and have arthritis so I need to have the water around 86. Anything lower and I really hurt when I get out. This has been a bad summer in Western Pa and my water is 75 today. I use a solar cover and have a gas heater, but use the heater sparingly. One of these days we will get the solar panels up and running that we bought 2 summers ago.

Our pool temperatures have been all over.Low 70's to high 70's. We have a solar cover and a 4'x 20' fafco solar panel,but even with these we have had chilly water. Too many cloudy cool days in mid Michigan,plus evening temperatures dropping down to low 50's
Our pool has only reached 82 degrees once, and that was wonderful to swim in.

Our pool gets direct sunlight till about 1:30 pm or so each day so most of our swimming takes place in the shade. I have found 84° F to be very comfortable, although like everyone else, it's been a cool summer and air temperatures in the mid 70s feel down right cold!!

I have been pleasantly surprised to discover that heat loss overnight has been better than expected (meaning not having a big temperature drop.) Yesterday evening I had to pool at 84° F using the pool heater and just checked the water this morning and it is 81° F and I think that's pretty good with nighttime temps in the mid 60s.

Not sure what is helping the most but I have 1 inch of rigid foam insulation under the pool as well as a foam wall liner between the liner and the steel wall (albeit, it's only 1/8 inch thick.) Also use an 11 mil clear solar cover on the pool when not in use.

This year has been a cool summer for my part of Texas. My pool has stayed ~82. I like it there, but the boss prefers 84-86...so I'm getting to put a little miles on the heater every so often.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.