Converting from liquid chlorine to salt

yzf600

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Last weekend I decided to convert from liquid chlorine to an IntelliChlor generator. While waiting for the device to arrive, I dumped 8 bags of Diamond Crystal water softner salt (99.5% pure) into the pool I shut off my pool cleaner, turned the pump on for 8 hours and went for a swim to get all the salt dissolved. Within 2 hours all the visible salt crystals were dissolved.

The next day I happened to watch the pool as the pump kicked on and I saw all the returns blast brown clouds into the pool. I realized that the brown was previously filtered dust from my DE filter. I completely disassembled the filter and inspected every grid for tears, looked at the manifold for cracks and even looked at the spring tube. Everything looked good. I replaced the o-ring between the manifold and pcv up tube since it was streched, as well as took apart the slide valve and re-lubed it. Unfortunately none of this helped. My next steps are to replace the slide valve o-rings, then the manifold, then the grids.

It seems very suspect that my DE filter has issues immediately after I put salt into the pool. I would not think the salt would affect it. Could the salt cause the plastic or rubber to swell or shrink? I've only owned my house for a year and the DE filter plastic looked brand new when I moved in (Phoenix sun will age plastic like nothing else). Has anyone else seen similar behavior out of a DE filter after adding salt? Perhaps there is some industry experience with converting to a salt pool you all could share.

I didn't convert, but I have been operating a salt pool with a DE filter in Tucson for ten years now. I have never had an issue.

I found the problem. Upon tearing down the filter for a 2nd time, I saw one of the grids had a 1" tear at the bottom where the circular tube is. Either it was coincidence, or some of the rocks of salt got pressed up against the hole and poked through.

Note to self: inspecting 48sq ft of DE grids in 105 around 1 hour before sunset = rush job.

I found the problem. Upon tearing down the filter for a 2nd time, I saw one of the grids had a 1" tear at the bottom where the circular tube is. Either it was coincidence, or some of the rocks of salt got pressed up against the hole and poked through.

Note to self: inspecting 48sq ft of DE grids in 105 around 1 hour before sunset = rush job.
Didn't your shop teacher ever mock you with, "There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?" :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.