120v light in 12v socket..

jvrobert

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2014
Mesa AZ
Hi,

We moved into this house last year and shortly afterwards the pool light stopped working. I'm finally getting around to fixing it.

Anyway, I am 95% sure it's a 12V light fixture because there is a black transformer next to the power switch for my light. Is this a valid assumption? House is an "AZ standard" (cookie cutter) home built ca 1996.

But when I pulled the light out a) it was half full with water b) there was a weird gel in the bottom not sure if that's part of the insulation or some weird growth and c) there is a 120V 500W light bulb in it.

Would the light have worked at all if it is a 12V line to a 120V light? I'd think it would, it would just not be nearly as bright and wife says it was never very bright (I don't remember).

I'm guessing since the fixture has been water exposed for so long I probably just need to replace the whole fixture. Can I buy just the fixture, all I see online are fixtures with a light already included, and I have already bought an LED 12v light bulb online which I guess I could send back.

Thanks for any pointers!

Hi,

We moved into this house last year and shortly afterwards the pool light stopped working. I'm finally getting around to fixing it.

Anyway, I am 95% sure it's a 12V light fixture because there is a black transformer next to the power switch for my light. Is this a valid assumption? House is an "AZ standard" (cookie cutter) home built ca 1996.

But when I pulled the light out a) it was half full with water b) there was a weird gel in the bottom not sure if that's part of the insulation or some weird growth and c) there is a 120V 500W light bulb in it.

Would the light have worked at all if it is a 12V line to a 120V light? I'd think it would, it would just not be nearly as bright and wife says it was never very bright (I don't remember).

I'm guessing since the fixture has been water exposed for so long I probably just need to replace the whole fixture. Can I buy just the fixture, all I see online are fixtures with a light already included, and I have already bought an LED 12v light bulb online which I guess I could send back.

Thanks for any pointers!

Umm.. I feel fairly ridiculous. After some research I should have done earlier, I realized that "transformer" is just the j-box, lol.

Unless someone has other comment my plan is to get an electrician to install a transformer and put in a new fixture with a 12V LED.

No it will not light up. Not even close.

I completely agree with Charlie R, get an electrician to look at your lighting. Ask them a few questions to familiarize yourself with your system. Then work from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.