First Time Pool Owner with Brand New Pool

Jul 27, 2014
DFW, TX
We just finished building our new pool here near Flower Mound, Texas. We have never had a pool before and are trying to figure everything out.

The pool builder is supposed to add salt and turn the SWG on next week some time. In the meantime, we are supposed to be using the inline chlorinator for providing chlorine, but it doesn't appear to be functioning. Using the Pentair test kit from the builder, I was never registering any chlorine and had really high pH. I began adding muriatic acid and bleach to correct the levels. When I would check the levels again (next day), I had basically the same readings. Repeat--Add, recheck next day with same result. Last week I added 4 jugs of Target-brand 8.25 bleach, and over a gallon of muriatic acid.

I purchased the TF100 test kit and received it today. My readings are as follows:

FC 0 CC 0
CH 50 TA 300
CYA 0 pH 8.2

Is my experience normal and what do I need to add to get everything where it is supposed to be?

I have used PoolMath, but thought I would get the experts to direct me.

Also, it should be noted that the 17,000 gallons is an estimate. The pool is irregular with an average length of 33', an average width of 18.25', and an average depth of 4.05'. It has a large tanning ledge with upturned bubbler and a moss rock waterfall.

Thank you for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.