New Liner, how to start up

Jul 31, 2014
Slidell,TX
Just had my liner replaced, and in the process of filling pool. It should be full by around midnight tonight. I am wondering what is the best start up method for my type of pool. Here are the readings from my source water:
FC - .5
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
Alk - 200
CH - 70
CYA - I did not test this yet, but I would imagine it is 0

All I have on hand right now is bleach,Acid, and CYA. Since I live in N.E. Texas and can expect most August days above 100, I figure to run my CYA around 50. (Sound about right?)

I really don't want to hurt my liner by adding chlorine to unstabilized water, so do I wait until my CYA has time to dissolve? Is it ok to put a sock full of CYA in my pool right now while it is filling?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

My pool is filled, and going good now. I calculated the amount of CYA to add to bring the level up to 40, and it is now dissolved. Since I live in N.E. Texas I plan to test my FC at least 2 times a day, to make sure it doesn't fall below the minimum level. If I find I am losing too much FC during the day, I will boost my CYA up to 50.

I am not entirely new to the TFPC method, I have been attempting it since last year, but I never could get things under control from my CYA being so high. (150+). Since I got my new liner this past week, I consider this a fresh start, to do things the right way.

I have some questions about maintaining everything if you don't mind.

1. What can I do to keep algae from forming under my steps? They are located on the opposite side from my return jet, so I am not sure how I can keep the water circulating under it.
2. Would it hurt to add di-chlor whenever I need to replace some CYA due to splash out? That would keep me from having to buy another tub of CYA.
3. For my climate, how long should I need to run my pump each day, and what is the optimal time to run it?

Thanks

Tim

Welcome to the forum :wave:

1. People using the pool or daily sweeping goes a long way as does keeping closer to the daily maintenance target FC level and not getting down to or below minimum.

2. As long as you know your adding CYA and it's what you're looking to do it should be good.

3. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time
It will vary by every pool, the pump, the filters condition, size of plumbing, swimmer load, sun .... you get the idea.
If you test and dose at night starting at 8 or 9 and going until 12 or ?? would be a good time for testing, adding and mixing chemicals and if you're lucky and have off peak metering it's also cheaper at night.
You can always run it manually when you have swimmers or leave it off, I like to have it running.
With a SWG it's a little more complicated as you need to turn up the generator as you cut back on run time.

pool has been running 3 days now. Looks perfect. even Sparkles at night. My problem is that I am not sure how much CYA I have in my pool at the moment. I dissolved enough CYA in a sock to bring it up from 0 to 45. However, I am having a hard time reading my CYA test. If I stand up and look towards a ceiling mounted light the reading seems < 30. If I put my back to the light I am getting around 40-45. I put in enough bleach this morning to bring my pool up to 7. However this evening when I got home my level was 2.5. That seems like a lot to lose, especially when there were swimmers today. Does it take a while for the CYA to start working even though it is no longer in the sock? According to the CYA chart I should keep a minimum of 3.5 CL for a CYA level of 45.

I guess I just need to know what levels to keep my pool at right now. Do I go according to 45 CYA, or do I dose for less CYA?

Thanks

Tim

When adding granular CYA it can take up to a week for the added CYA to fully dissolve and mix even after it's all gone from the sock. It's why they recommend trying to not backwash for a week after adding. Or to hang it in front of a return so it's in the pool more than in the filter if you're in a SLAM and you know you'll be backwashing often. You'll lose some but not near as much that way.
See CYA in "ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry" - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

The CYA test is supposed to be done outside in sunlight with your back to the sun. Here is a "show and tell" - - > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs&list=UUNFkPFCkt9Y_YYNAeLtUr1g
So if you're doing it inside I would assume you'd still want your back turned to the light although the reading might be a little off one way or the other due to type of light and brightness.

Other tests - - > https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

You should go with your target level that you added CYA to get to (45ppm). After it's had a week then retest CYA and go with your test value.
I'd try to stay up around 6 FC and not get below 3. Not below 4 would be better. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.