Pump and filter question

Exit0

Jul 3, 2013
Ok TFP gurus...I have a question about my pump and filter size. I have a hayward 19 inch 150 lb sand filter with a 1.5 HP single speed pump. It looks to me like the filter is rated at 45 GPM and the pump appears to be rated at 73 GPM. I think the hoses are inch and a half not 100% sure. So I am thinking my pump is way to big for my filter???? My 24 ft round AG pool(approximately 14000) would probably be better suited with a larger filter?

I was wondering what will happen with this configuration and what sort of problems would be attributed to the configuration? I have been experiencing a fair amount of dirt accumulating in the pool. I was wondering if dirt might be working its way past the sand and back into the pool. Water is crystal clear and no signs of algae anywhere when I vacuum the dirt up it slowly reappears back I to the pool over the next day or so. I backwash right after vacuuming but some dirt still comes back. I would vacuum to waste but flowing that much water the pool would drain much faster than I could possibly suck it up.

I was thinking of switching to a 2 speed pump but what size pump would suit my pool and should I also consider a different filter as well? Thanks for all the advise!

P.S. I will try and upload some pictures of the equipment labels.

I think you might be right.

Im not very up to date on sizing a sand filter and pump combination, so I really cant offer much advice (I wish I could though). Im sure someone will come along before long who can help you out more than me.

I do know from what Ive read, that the symptoms you describe are what happens when you have too much pump for a sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.