Draining Pool — amount to drain?

Jun 23, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Just trying to get ready for my upcoming drain... thanks for answers so far. For draining and refilling my pool to get CH (2100) and CYA (240) under control, Pool Math says to replace 85-90% of the water. Am I better off just draining completely and starting over, or trying to get to a good level?

Thanks!!

I hope you understand that leaving the pebbletec exposed to our sun and heat for any length of time may be detrimental to its life.

I would guess it will take at least 19 hours to fill the pool, so a "quick" drain and fill overnight is not really possible.

Not the best time in AZ to drain a pool.

Thanks for the responses. Should I just wait until October? I'm really concerned about operating too much longer with such high CH and CYA. As has been pointed out to me, I can't reliably keep read PH to keep it low enough to prevent calcium scaling with the FC levels necessary at such high CYA). I figured that if I started the drain Friday around 5 p.m. could I have it full again by noon Saturday. Bad plan with the pebble?

It will probably take 3+ hours to drain with a rent pump from HD. Note you can rent for 4 hours or a day. But, if you rent it close enough to closing time, you get to keep it overnight for no added cost. If you think you can get it filled before the hot afternoon sun, then go for it. Hopefully, the pebble will be fine.

last time i had to drain a pool when it was hot i got an oscillating sprinkler (the fan looking one) mounted it to a boogie board and tied that to both sides of the pool.... that way it was spraing the plaster the whole time it was draining... dont remember how hot it was at the time though

Any other takes on whether the pebbletec well be OK if exposed while trying to drain and refill or should I try to manage the absure chemical levels for another couple months? I guess I could also try a more gradual drain and refill process. Thanks everyone.

The last time I did a hard drain I stayed out there with a hose keeping the walls wet/cool. Darn it, I wish I thought of the beer part of your idea.....

- - - Updated - - -

Now, a more serious answer. Due to my high water table I never took it down more than a foot at a time. You will use more water with partial drains/refills but it may be worth your while if you can't keep the walls wets & cool.

Why couldn't you drain from shallow end and run a hose filling in the deep end? That's what I would do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.