Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: kitty poop!

1. Back To Top    #1

kitty poop!

So after I discovered that a neighborhood kitty took a dump in our pool last night I sucked out the waste and I was planning to zap the pool with a heavy dose of Chlorine just as assurance that the goobers are gone. Unless someone thinks otherwise, I was going to pour the recommended (by Pool Math) quantity of 10% bleach to shoot for a SLAM level, but then let the chlorine drift back down to my normal balanced level (5.5)

My only question is, with a CYA around 65, how long will it take for the Chrlorine to drift back down (with SWG off)? We're having a party Saturday afternoon so I need the Chlorine level back down to normal levels.

---OR--- do I not need to bother??

Would love some feedback from the experts here!

Thanks
    -Mike
    40K gallons, IG, plaster, circa 1987, 60sqft Crystal Water DE filter, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG, attached spa w/spillway, 2 skimmers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: kitty poop!

I would have to do it just because of the ewwwwwwwwwwwww factor LOL.

It cannot hurt anything and it would make me feel better so.............

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If everything else is good I wouldn't go all the way to SLAM level. Maybe bump it a little if it makes you feel better, but I think any bad stuff would be long dead by Saturday.

My $0.02
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

4. Back To Top    #4

Even if you do raise it up to shock level ... it is safe to swim at any FC up to that FC level. So it will certainly be fine by Saturday ... it would be fine by later today.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, I didn't realize you can swim up the SLAM level -- good to know.

I suppose I'll bump it up a little but not take it SLAM level; I'm also getting ready to fight some staining/metal issues so I don't want to go too crazy with elevated Chlorine levels.

Thanks everyone!
    -Mike
    40K gallons, IG, plaster, circa 1987, 60sqft Crystal Water DE filter, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG, attached spa w/spillway, 2 skimmers.

6. Back To Top    #6

I finished slamming my CYA 60 pool last Thursday ...it was at 24. It's taken 7 days to get down to FC of 10! (I went swimming at 22 and every day since. My cap is bleaching, but no skin problems.)
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.