Blew out my SWG!

Sep 11, 2010
San Diego
I can't believe I did this! Two weeks ago I had guests staying over the weekend and uisng the pool. During one afternoon I saw the SWG flashing a red error code, low salt. Unlike the directions state I added 40lbs. salt into the pool without diconnecting the vacuum robot and TURNING OFF THE SWG. Well after the SWG probes got exposed to a direct shot of undissolved salt it literally ate away the magneisum plates. I'll take a photo and post it later. I had a service eror code and it would not rerstart. A simple meger of the titamnium plates showed OL conductivity and last night I tore into it as I already ordered the replacment unit. One titanium probe was 40% eaten away the other was all together missing with the wires dangling where the piece used to be bolted up! Its hard to me to fathom how one of the hardest metals just simply dissolved but in hind sight think of a metal object subjected to electricity and then sand blasted by salt going at at 3000gph. The salt literally ravaged this thing. The forward copper plates, electrical device etc. are all good so I'll save the rest of the unit for parts if I ever need it. Lesson learned read directions!

I'd assume it was high electrical current due to the high salinity of the water flowing through the plates rather than mechanical damage. Seems like the generator would shut off when it measured high current though.

What SWG do you have?

Most have high salt level protection which in theory should have prevented this from happening. Although I would recommend turning the SWG off for 24 hours after adding any salt with any SWG.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.