Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine from ACE Hardware

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine from ACE Hardware

Just bought 5 gallons of liquid chlorine from ACE Hardware and no one working could tell me the percentage? When I asked the fellow that filled the jugs he said "it was strong". On the up side they did not try and sell me any chemicals I did not need and I did not have to drive 1 hour to the closest pool store. I guess with daily testing, percentage is not that important.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Liquid Chlorine from ACE Hardware

Within a cpl days you should be able to figure out the strength if you dose based on 10%. If your readings show that you're adding too much, it must be 12.5%. If they show you aren't adding enough its 6 or 8.25%

If it's bulk I'm betting 12.5%, but I've been wrong before.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

What I've seen at Ace before is labeled as 10% available chlorine. See if you can see a date code printed on the side and you can determine how fresh it is.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

We just bought some from Ace last week and it's 10%.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

5. Back To Top    #5

I also recommend checking the date code. I recently bought 6 jugs of 10% liquid chlorine at Ace. When I got home I noticed one of the jugs was a 2013 date (the day of year was smudged - unreadable). The other jugs were 2014 dates codes manufactured early in the year. I measured the chlorine strength of all date codes using the 10,000 to 1 dilution test. The 2013 jug measured 4.5%. The other date codes measured 9.5% and 10.5%.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

The guy said the ACE employee "filled" the jugs so I doubt there are any date codes.
    Thanks,
    Gil

In-ground: 20,600 gallons; Sand Filter 1HP pump; Kreepy Krauler; Solar Breeze Solar Powered Robotic Skimmer; TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrock View Post
    The guy said the ACE employee "filled" the jugs so I doubt there are any date codes.
    FWIW This is why I guessed it was 12.5%. The prefilled @ Ace are 10%, and they don't sell bulk in my area...but that doesn't mean they don't elsewhere.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

8. Back To Top    #8

I just got a call from the sales rep that sells to ACE Hardware. He could not believe they did not know the percentage. He indicated that it was 13% by volume and 10.5% by weight which brings up the question of, which percentage is standard? The pool store shows theirs as being 10.5%. I must have a good life if this is all I have to think about. I guess percentage really only matters in determining cost per oz. of chlorine so you can determine what kind of a deal you are getting.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

9. Back To Top    #9

There are three numbers typically used and their relationship is as follows:

% Available Chlorine (this is a weight %) < % Sodium Hypochlorite (this is a weight %) < Trade % (this is volume % available chlorine)

The second number is always 1.050 times (5.0%) higher than the first since their relationship is the weight of sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) to the weight of chlorine gas (Cl2). The third number is the first number times the density of the product which varies by concentration but is usually around 1.07 for 5.25%, 1.08 for 6.0% (NaOCl), 1.10 for 8.25% (NaOCl), 1.14 for 10% (Trade), and 1.16 for 12.5% (Trade).

There is no way that their % Available Chlorine is 13% by volume and 10.5% by weight. More likely, if it's 10.5% by weight, then it's 12.2%, probably 12.5%. That is a pretty common Trade % for chlorinating liquid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"