Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Irrigating with high CYA water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Irrigating with high CYA water?

Hi all,

I'm draining and refilling tomorrow (CYA=240, CH=2100 with TF-100 kit). OK to irrigate the backyard with this high-CYA and high-calcium water? We've got citrus trees, olive tree, agaves, a Texas ebony, Mexican sunflower all manner native desert plants, including cacti.

Thanks!
    13,000 Gallon IG Double Roman End with Steps PebbleTec Seafoam Green Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320 1 HP Sta-rite pump (MPR6E-147L) TF-100 test kit Kreepy Krauly Cacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Irrigating with high CYA water?

I would say you're fine. CYA at that level won't harm plants and will likely be digested by soil bacteria.

That is pretty high CH. I'm not well versed in plants with regard to hard water but I would guess that desert plants would be accustomed to hard water.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

In arid climates chemicals from pool water can accumulate in the soil over time. Once is no big deal, but after a couple of years they can build up to levels that may pose an issue. In rainy climates it is no problem, as the rain will wash them out of the soil.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Great to know — thanks!
    13,000 Gallon IG Double Roman End with Steps PebbleTec Seafoam Green Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320 1 HP Sta-rite pump (MPR6E-147L) TF-100 test kit Kreepy Krauly Cacuum