Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loose Bolts on Handrail?

1. Back To Top    #1

Loose Bolts on Handrail?

I'm trying to add a basic handrail back to the pool, but the bolts are so loose, they just slide in and out of the holes. Am I missing something? When I took them off last year, they were wedged tight and had to be turned.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Loose Bolts on Handrail?

The bolts thread into wedges that are loose in the holes. If you unscrewed the bolts all the way, the wedges probably fell to the bottoms of the anchor holes. You'll need to get them started loosely on the bolts, then put the rail in the hole and tighten the bolts the rest of the way.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If John's explanation didn't make sense: it's the same as the gooseneck for your bicycle's handlebars.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your responses. I just realized the guys who re-plastered the pool plastered over the hole for one of the bolts, so I'm going to have to figure out to fix that before I can install it. I'll look for that on the open ones, though, and see if I can't figure it out.