GFI vs GFCI

Re: Swimming with pump on

There is difference between GFI and GFCI.

A GFCI is a ground-fault occurs when there is a break in the low-resistance grounding path from a tool or electrical system. The electrical current may then take an alternative path to the ground through the user, resulting in serious injuries or death. The ground-fault circuit interrupter, or GFCI, is a fast-acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electric power in the event of a ground-fault within as little as 1/40 of a second. It works by comparing the amount of current going to and returning from equipment along the circuit conductors. When the amount going differs from the amount returning by approximately 5 milliamperes, the GFCI interrupts the current.

And a GFI is a ground fault interrupters are designed to protect from electrical shock by interrupting a household circuit when there is a difference in the currents in the "hot" and neutral wires. Such a difference indicates that an abnormal diversion of current from the "hot" wire is occurring. Such a current might be flowing in the ground wire, such as a leakage current from a motor or from capacitors. More importantly, that current diversion may be occurring because a person has come into contact with the "hot" wire and is being shocked. When a circuit is functioning normally, all the return current from an appliance flows through the neutral wire, so the presence of a difference between "hot" and neutral currents represents a malfunction which in some circumstances could produce a dangerous or even lethal shock hazard.

Hope this helps.

First post btw....

Re: Swimming with pump on

From everything that I can find, GFCI and GFI are exactly the same thing with a slightly different name ... just like we use SWG instead of SWCG (which is technically more correct).

Subzer0 seems to have quoted a Yahoo answer from 3 years ago that was also disputed. In fact, the sources cited in that yahoo answer show the same outlets but just use the different names.

There is a different piece of equipment that is used to protect large equipment (not people), but it is usually referred to as a GFPE: Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment

Yes, you are correct. Now that I look back, there are many electricians' forums that say they represent the same thing.

To go along with GFI and GFCI, few people also call it a GFIC. My 10th grade teacher did that all the time.

GFCI sounds better to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.