Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GFI vs GFCI

1. Back To Top    #1

GFI vs GFCI

Is it just me, or is everybody misspelling GFCI. Isn't it spelled GFCI for ground fault circuit interrupter, not GFI? It seems to be very common for it to be said as a GFI.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming with pump on

There is difference between GFI and GFCI.

A GFCI is a ground-fault occurs when there is a break in the low-resistance grounding path from a tool or electrical system. The electrical current may then take an alternative path to the ground through the user, resulting in serious injuries or death. The ground-fault circuit interrupter, or GFCI, is a fast-acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electric power in the event of a ground-fault within as little as 1/40 of a second. It works by comparing the amount of current going to and returning from equipment along the circuit conductors. When the amount going differs from the amount returning by approximately 5 milliamperes, the GFCI interrupts the current.

And a GFI is a ground fault interrupters are designed to protect from electrical shock by interrupting a household circuit when there is a difference in the currents in the "hot" and neutral wires. Such a difference indicates that an abnormal diversion of current from the "hot" wire is occurring. Such a current might be flowing in the ground wire, such as a leakage current from a motor or from capacitors. More importantly, that current diversion may be occurring because a person has come into contact with the "hot" wire and is being shocked. When a circuit is functioning normally, all the return current from an appliance flows through the neutral wire, so the presence of a difference between "hot" and neutral currents represents a malfunction which in some circumstances could produce a dangerous or even lethal shock hazard.

Hope this helps.

First post btw....

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh, I didn't even know there were two different things.

I always thought that GFCI was GFI. Thanks for the information.

Welcome to TFP, btw!
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

4. Back To Top    #4

GFCI is circut (and people) protection
    GFI is only to protect equipment
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

From everything that I can find, GFCI and GFI are exactly the same thing with a slightly different name ... just like we use SWG instead of SWCG (which is technically more correct).

Subzer0 seems to have quoted a Yahoo answer from 3 years ago that was also disputed. In fact, the sources cited in that yahoo answer show the same outlets but just use the different names.

There is a different piece of equipment that is used to protect large equipment (not people), but it is usually referred to as a GFPE: Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: GFI vs GFCI

I read that a GFI protects the individual receptacle, and a GFCI protects that receptacle, along with the rest of the circuit.
    Bobby (my pool)

7. Back To Top    #7

Just depends on how it is wired ... they are still the same product.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, you are correct. Now that I look back, there are many electricians' forums that say they represent the same thing.

To go along with GFI and GFCI, few people also call it a GFIC. My 10th grade teacher did that all the time.

GFCI sounds better to me.
    Bobby (my pool)