I am completely new both to pool maintenance and the forum. I have undertaken the responsibility to recover and maintain my boss's 30,000 gallon vinyl above ground pool, and I need help with some pool chemistry.
I came to the pool 3 weeks ago, and it was a dark green lake. It had been neglected of ANY maintenance for 2 years. I found what I could on this forum to get going on killing the algae. I used a lot of the bagged shock, containing trichlor, along with a lot of bleach and granular chlorine. After 4 or 5 days, the water turned murky blue. Adding a lot of Chlorox Clarifier, the water progressed to where I could faintly see the floor of the pool. I have spent the last several days getting the last bit of leaves out of the bottom, scrubbing the vinyl, and adding chlorine to keep the algae away. Now, the water is very blue but also very cloudy again. I believe the cloudiness is due to the white/gray-colored algae particles still floating around and also settled on the pool floor. Not sure though.
I finally was able to use my new TF-100 test kit to check my levels yesterday. Here is what I found:
FC: 0 (possibly "chlorine lock" from what I've read on the forum)
CC: No time to check
pH: maybe 5.0 - 6.0? (too low to compare to the color readout)
TA: Confused... (Upon adding the 5 drops of R-0008, water immediately turned the pink color that it SHOULD turn after the R-0009 is added, instead of turning green first)
CH: No time to check
Based on my limited knowledge of pool chemistry and how to adjust these measurements, it does make sense to me that my excessive addition of the trichlor shock contributed to my high CYA reading, which may in turn be giving me my FC-0 reading as well. Please offer me all the help you can regarding all the necessary steps I should take to removing ALL of the dead algae and correcting my chemistry.