Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crystal Crete clogging filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Crystal Crete clogging filter

Our pool is quite old, 15 years or so and has never been resurfaced. We have a bad black algae problem and I've been doing lots of scrubbing with a wire brush. The upshot is, a lot of very fine crystal crete is making its way into the filter grids and clogging them. The maintenance man says backwashing doesn't help, he has to take the filter apart and clean the grids with a hose. Very inconvenient.
    The filter is a DE Pentair Pack Fab 60.

Is it time to resurface the pool?

Any way to keep the filter running without clogging?

Today I plan to stir it up quite a bit and pump about 2000 gallons out as wastewater, hoping to suck out as much of the crystal crete as I can in the process.

Thanks!
    46,000 gallon in ground concrete/crystal crete, filter is Pentair Pack Fab 60 DE, freshwater.
    2hp pump. Flow Rate ? 4 return jets, two of which are closed due to a leak in the plumbing
    Water is replaced/replentished using RO water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crystal Crete clogging filter

If there is the appropriate amount of DE in the filter, then I would not think that the crystal crete should be clogging anything up.

Resurfacing is generally cosmetic ... up to you if you care what the surface looks and feels like.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. How much is the appropriate amount of DE for the filter? A thin coating?

The maintenance guy swears it is the crystal crete clogging the filter.
    46,000 gallon in ground concrete/crystal crete, filter is Pentair Pack Fab 60 DE, freshwater.
    2hp pump. Flow Rate ? 4 return jets, two of which are closed due to a leak in the plumbing

4. Back To Top    #4

What does your filter manual say? Likely 6-7.5 pounds for a 60 sqft filter.

Sure the filter will capture the dust and the pressure will rise, but backwashing should remove it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happens.