Newbie Help, Cloudy pool

Jul 13, 2014
Haverhill, MA
We set up our pool just a few weeks ago and the kids are loving it. I checked the chemistry via strips almost daily up until a little over a week ago it all seemed normal. My wife suggested I go take a water sample to the local shop and get a free analysis. She had already purchased 2 gallons of shock, and some tabs, neither of which we added. The guy at Leslie pool analyzed the water, and $140 later I left the store with a bunch of chemicals. Conditioner, a PH product, hard water treatment, and some phosfree. He also laid out the plan for me when to add what over 5 days. Everything went fine, untill the phosfree... the pool got really cloudy, there is this "flock" that is everywhere and tends to settle at night. I wish I never put the stuff in... running the filter for a week did little along with backwashing it. Going to purchase a vacuum Friday and hopefully get it out of there.... Did I get taken for a ride?

-Mark

Still no sig... I recommend the TF100 test kit, I have it and with the XL option I'm well into my second summer and only have had to refill the CYA test liquid so far. I recommend an extra bottle of that stuff when you place your order. Also the speed stir is a luxury at $30, but man is it nice instead of swirling by hand while counting drops. I should have bought it sooner.

Get a test kit, post your results, and we'll get you on track.

Did you put the phosfree in there already? If not, return it. Leslie's love to sell that stuff. I bought a jug before I found this site and learned that I wasted $700 at the pool store.

Tried doing the signature thing... lets see if it works on this post.... I have been backflushing daily, and the pool is clearing up. Will be purchasing a test kit soon. Thanks for all the help, off to pool school...

Now strangly I updated my sig to give more info prior to this message and it doesnt look like it took.... I added more detail on filter model gph & amp rating... date of pool install as well... wierd....

You most likely don't need to backflush daily. You're wasting water and decreasing the efficiency of your filter. If it's a sand filter, they work better as they trap more dirt. Note the PSI after a backwash, then don't do it again until pressure rises 20%. Might take days or even a week! Please get the test kit, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. (psssst... TF100....)

You most likely don't need to backflush daily. You're wasting water and decreasing the efficiency of your filter. If it's a sand filter, they work better as they trap more dirt. Note the PSI after a backwash, then don't do it again until pressure rises 20%. Might take days or even a week! Please get the test kit, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. (psssst... TF100....)

Zimm thanks again, will do!

Whenever you have anything on the pool bottom, you will have to vacuum it, no two ways about it. That is the only way you will get it out complete. It will get trapped in your sand filter which can be back washed out when required.
What the flock did was condense all the particles into a large enough item to vacuum out. You shut the pump off, let it settle over night, then vacuum it out the next day. Unfortunately just running the pump without vacuuming is not going to do it. You need to clear all the flock out.

You also want to check the instructions on the floc. Usually you don't want to vacuum it to or through your filter but vacuum to waste. Some flocs will gum up the sand which is why they say to vac to waste only.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.