New User with a Specific Goal in Mind...

Jul 30, 2014
California
Hello Everybody:

My friends and I just moved to a house in the Hollywood hills! ...that needs renovation. One point we would love to work on immediately is this pool in the backyard. Its from the 70s and I can't tell exactly what I'm working on here. I've attached some pictures :). With three of my fiends being DIY hippies from up north, they have decided to try to take this on, which I think needs a professional. Could anybody tell me what kind of pool I'm dealing with here? Also is this even a possible DIY project? Would love some help in any way. Thanks for all your help in advance, I'm really looking forward to becoming a more active member of this site and posting the progress I make with this pool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 252
Yeah I knew it looked like fiberglass on top, but it looks like there is a concrete pool layer with a fiberglass pool layer on top of it with a really thick paint over that. There is also tile over tile, which seems strange to me. Does anybody know how to go about redoing the tile? Should I tile over the blue tile like it is now or should I go down to the concrete? I'll create a photobucket later today and put up more pictures.

Could be that the original tile (and plaster?) pool underneath started leaking or something and they did a fiberglass inlay over the top of everything.

I have no idea what the best path forward would be. Likely stripping it all out (tile & fiberglass) down to the original structure to see what is going on and make repairs from there.

Would be kind of cool if the original tile pool was salvageable by stripping off the fiberglass ...

A retro pool from the 70's, that's been patched and re-lined, in the Hollywood Hills? Don't shine any black lights on it!

Prob have to demo all the fiberglass and tile, taking it down to the bare structure (hopefully there's some concrete/gunite under all that stuff) and then start over making it what you want.

Good luck!

So yeah this is a concrete pool with a layer of fiberglass over the plastr from the previous setup and then painted with special pool paint. Is this considered shotty work? It sure seems like it. I've never seen a real pool guy do that before. My cynical friend above might be right with the complete redo... Unless anybody knows how to make removing fiber glass easier. If I seperate the Fiberglas from the plaster I could just replanted the pool. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Also there was a problem with photo Buckley and my photos so got more pictures that I will put in a photobucket shortly by today

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.