Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New User with a Specific Goal in Mind...

1. Back To Top    #1

New User with a Specific Goal in Mind...

Hello Everybody:

My friends and I just moved to a house in the Hollywood hills! ...that needs renovation. One point we would love to work on immediately is this pool in the backyard. Its from the 70s and I can't tell exactly what I'm working on here. I've attached some pictures . With three of my fiends being DIY hippies from up north, they have decided to try to take this on, which I think needs a professional. Could anybody tell me what kind of pool I'm dealing with here? Also is this even a possible DIY project? Would love some help in any way. Thanks for all your help in advance, I'm really looking forward to becoming a more active member of this site and posting the progress I make with this pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New User with a Specific Goal in Mind...

fiberglass?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Pic 2 looks like fiberglass w/a coating of some kind.......

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah I knew it looked like fiberglass on top, but it looks like there is a concrete pool layer with a fiberglass pool layer on top of it with a really thick paint over that. There is also tile over tile, which seems strange to me. Does anybody know how to go about redoing the tile? Should I tile over the blue tile like it is now or should I go down to the concrete? I'll create a photobucket later today and put up more pictures.

5. Back To Top    #5

First picture looks like tile on top of tile. At least the top layer will have to come off. Depending on the condition, the bottom layer may need to come off too. A couple overall pictures will help me understand what you have.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

6. Back To Top    #6

Could be that the original tile (and plaster?) pool underneath started leaking or something and they did a fiberglass inlay over the top of everything.

I have no idea what the best path forward would be. Likely stripping it all out (tile & fiberglass) down to the original structure to see what is going on and make repairs from there.

Would be kind of cool if the original tile pool was salvageable by stripping off the fiberglass ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

A retro pool from the 70's, that's been patched and re-lined, in the Hollywood Hills? Don't shine any black lights on it!

Prob have to demo all the fiberglass and tile, taking it down to the bare structure (hopefully there's some concrete/gunite under all that stuff) and then start over making it what you want.

Good luck!
    17,100 gallon, 27' round Wine Barrel, Hayward Matrix 1.5HP 2-speed Pump, Hayward Pro Series 24" Sand Filter, Hayward Skimmer and Returns, TF100 test kit......and lots of labor!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Sorry to be so cynical but I would bet you will spend less money digging the entire structure up from the ground, hauling it off, and then putting a new pool in it's place.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

So yeah this is a concrete pool with a layer of fiberglass over the plastr from the previous setup and then painted with special pool paint. Is this considered shotty work? It sure seems like it. I've never seen a real pool guy do that before. My cynical friend above might be right with the complete redo... Unless anybody knows how to make removing fiber glass easier. If I seperate the Fiberglas from the plaster I could just replanted the pool. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Also there was a problem with photo Buckley and my photos so got more pictures that I will put in a photobucket shortly by today

10. Back To Top    #10

Photo bucket link is: http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/Th...20Construction

Does anybody think that redoing the tile and the retouching the fiberglass where it is separated is an option?

11. Back To Top    #11

That is a big pool! I bet you could patch it up and have something useable -but only if you DIY, can't imagine a professional PB would do that. What a shame they covered over the old like that
    12 x 28 Doughboy Dinosaur (j/k: Breckenridge) partial bury, continuous depth 9,000gal. Doughboy Power Pak I digital 1hp pump, Hayward Pro-Series 300lb sand filter. Foam panel base, Gladon wall foam, Gladon cove.

12. Back To Top    #12

Maybe 25,000-30,000 gallons is my WAG.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks like they used mastic to put the second layer of tile. That is considered a no-no in any wet area, and definitely not good for a pool.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir