Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in filter

So I just upgraded to a 3000 (or 2450 depending on how you read it) gph Intex filter (model SF60110) after my other sand filter died. It really pushes a lot of water.

When I run it, there is a lot of air in the system. I've checked all the connections and they seem fine. I also removed the eyeball outlet and unhooked the skimmer. But no change.

Is this a problem?

Short videos of both systems:

Pre-filter basket
    Saltwater generator tube - generator is off
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in filter

Strainer lid tight? Gasket seated? O ring good where strainer attaches? All the usual you probably already checked.

Are your plunger valves the one with the relief port? Is it coming in from there?

3. Back To Top    #3

They're the latest intex twist type. I put my finger on the vacuum relief valves and don't feel any air.

So I take it the video is not what it should look like and the pump should have zero air in the pre-filter basket? It doesn't get any worse and the pressure is strong so I'm not sure why it's an issue, maybe someone can tell me.

I've bled the valve on the pre-filter to get as much air as possible out. I've tightened everything.
    Maybe I should work with soapy water and coat every intake to see where air is coming in?
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, I listened to the vacuum relief valve again and it was making noise. When I cover it the noise stops. So I covered it with the included plastic cap. Now I have far less air in the pump. Just a few bubbles are visible going thru the SWG (with SWG off).

I'm not sure where it's leaking now. Is this little bit of air bad for my pump? Should the standard be zero air?
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Correct. Ideally there should be zero air.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdtucson View Post
    Ok, I listened to the vacuum relief valve again and it was making noise. When I cover it the noise stops. So I covered it with the included plastic cap. Now I have far less air in the pump. Just a few bubbles are visible going thru the SWG (with SWG off).

I'm not sure where it's leaking now. Is this little bit of air bad for my pump? Should the standard be zero air?
    The first time I vacuumed with the new twist valves, mine got air in the system through the relief valve just like your video shows. It kind of through me off, that's when I figured out about using the caps when I vacuum.

Under normal operation mine clears the air pretty quick at initial start up and stays from no air to just a very small air bubble. It stays that way cycle to cycle, only gets air in it again when I vacuum and forget to cap the relief valve.

I think you may have a bad relief valve. You could try switching the inlet and outlet valves, you could run "capped" all the time, call intex for a replacement......
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

I fixed the 2nd leak and now my pump is air-free!
    The leak was on the input port. The O-ring appeared slightly deformed as if it had gotten pinched. I carefully re-installed it, tightened, and no more leak.
    Now to get a new relief valve.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

After running a couple hours, it's leaking again. Grrrr. Maybe I'll just leave it this way and Intex can replace it whenever it burns out.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

After running a couple hours, it's leaking again. Grrrr. Maybe I'll just leave it this way and Intex can replace it whenever it burns out.
    You could try lubricating the o ring with some o ring sicone lubricant like this - http://www.instockpoolsupply.com/Mag...GMwBoCpUnw_wcB

this should allow the seal and help to keep it from pinching or deforming
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Cap the relief valve and see if that's the main source of the problem.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
    You could try lubricating the o ring with some o ring sicone lubricant like this - http://www.instockpoolsupply.com/Mag...GMwBoCpUnw_wcB

this should allow the seal and help to keep it from pinching or deforming
    I have some arriving tomorrow and will try re-lubricating all O-rings. I did use spray food-grade silicone o-ring lubricant but maybe that doesn't work well enough.

I did cap the relief valve on the suction side yesterday and it helped a lot. But it's still leaking somewhere.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex CS8110 SWG