Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: First CYA Test

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    51

    First CYA Test

    Just did my first test for CYA. I am using the 6 way HTH test kit from Walmart. The directions say to fill the tube until the black dot disappears and then read the level in ppm. The last mark on the tube is 30. I was at the top of the tube (just a little past the 30 mark) and could barely see the black dot. I'm guessing my level is around 20 or 25 but cannot be sure because I topped out. Is this acceptable?

    Also, my FC is 1.5. Depending on the day (amount of sunlight and/or use) I have to add bleach daily to get the level back to 4ppm. My PH seems to fluctuate between 7.1-7.6 daily. My water is crystal clear (though I've only had the pool for a week).

    Should I raise the CYA or keep as is?
    Intex 15 ft x 42" Above Ground Pool bought from Amazon (3, 284 gallons)
    Standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the set up (1,000 gph)
    I live in Northern, MN

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: First CYA Test

    Sounds like your CYA is a little low. I would suggest adding about 10ppm to your pool and then testing it again in a week to make sure you are at least at 30ppm.

    Once you add the CYA, you should assume the CYA is around 30 ppm and use 2ppm as your minimum FC level ... you need to ALWAYS keep the FC above 2ppm. See the FC/CYA Chart. So maybe you should target 5-6ppm each day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    227

    Re: First CYA Test

    Also make sure you are performing the cya test correctly. Generally speaking outside with back to the sun, with the tube at about waist height. If you are holding the tube in brighter light or holding up to your eyes to "try" and see the dot, that's incorrect.

    It is normal to add chlorine daily. As mentioned once you know your CYA is correct, if you are dropping below your minimum regularly move your target up. That goes back to when I was telling you I keep my chlorine a couple ppm over on the target end to make sure I always stay above the minimum even on heavier load days.

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    51

    Re: First CYA Test

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp View Post
    Also make sure you are performing the cya test correctly. Generally speaking outside with back to the sun, with the tube at about waist height. If you are holding the tube in brighter light or holding up to your eyes to "try" and see the dot, that's incorrect.

    It is normal to add chlorine daily. As mentioned once you know your CYA is correct, if you are dropping below your minimum regularly move your target up. That goes back to when I was telling you I keep my chlorine a couple ppm over on the target end to make sure I always stay above the minimum even on heavier load days.
    Ahhh...yes, that makes sense. Thank you!!
    Intex 15 ft x 42" Above Ground Pool bought from Amazon (3, 284 gallons)
    Standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the set up (1,000 gph)
    I live in Northern, MN

  5. Back To Top    #5

    TFP Guide

    Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Hudson, WI
    Posts
    2,602

    Re: First CYA Test

    Maybe a little show and tell will help your confidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxaq...9Y_YYNAeLtUr1g

    In MN you likely can go with 30ppm CYA but you'd want that dot to disappear at 35 or 30. You are a little low on the chlorine and Jbilizzle's recommendations for your FC are good advise.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    51

    Re: First CYA Test

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Maybe a little show and tell will help your confidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxaq...9Y_YYNAeLtUr1g

    In MN you likely can go with 30ppm CYA but you'd want that dot to disappear at 35 or 30. You are a little low on the chlorine and Jbilizzle's recommendations for your FC are good advise.
    Great video!
    Intex 15 ft x 42" Above Ground Pool bought from Amazon (3, 284 gallons)
    Standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the set up (1,000 gph)
    I live in Northern, MN

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mid Missouri
    Posts
    227

    Re: First CYA Test

    You brought up ph also. Just curious if you ever measured your total alkalinity.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    51

    Re: First CYA Test

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Sounds like your CYA is a little low. I would suggest adding about 10ppm to your pool and then testing it again in a week to make sure you are at least at 30ppm.

    Once you add the CYA, you should assume the CYA is around 30 ppm and use 2ppm as your minimum FC level ... you need to ALWAYS keep the FC above 2ppm. See the FC/CYA Chart. So maybe you should target 5-6ppm each day.
    Are you suggesting I target 5-6ppm each day AFTER rising my CYA to 30ppm or UNTIL I get my CYA to 30ppm?
    Intex 15 ft x 42" Above Ground Pool bought from Amazon (3, 284 gallons)
    Standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the set up (1,000 gph)
    I live in Northern, MN

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: First CYA Test

    After. See the chart. With a CYA that is 20-30ppm, the minimum is 2ppm ... you need to stay above that so target 4-5ppm.
    If your CYA ends up a little higher, you may want to target 5-6ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: First CYA Test

    Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    Are you suggesting I target 5-6ppm each day AFTER rising my CYA to 30ppm or UNTIL I get my CYA to 30ppm?
    He means as soon as the sock goes in the pool you should consider it all dissolved and present and target the appropriate FC level for your target CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    51

    Re: First CYA Test

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    After. See the chart. With a CYA that is 20-30ppm, the minimum is 2ppm ... you need to stay above that so target 4-5ppm.
    If your CYA ends up a little higher, you may want to target 5-6ppm.
    I check my levels each day at the end of the day. My FC is usually between 1.5-3 after sunlight and use. I target and add the necessary bleach to get the level to 4ppm before covering the pool for the night. I'll up my target level to 5 from now on.
    Intex 15 ft x 42" Above Ground Pool bought from Amazon (3, 284 gallons)
    Standard pump and cartridge filter that came with the set up (1,000 gph)
    I live in Northern, MN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •