Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Muriatic Acid Lose Potency?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Muriatic Acid Lose Potency?

I was going through my mother's garage and I found two gallons of muriatic acid that my father must have brought home. He died 10 years ago. I don't want to leave it there and I figure a good and easy way to get rid of it is to put some borax in my pool along with the acid. However, I have no idea if it is still the same ph as it was 10 or 15 years ago. Does anyone know?

19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Does Muriatic Acid Lose Potency?

If the container was sealed then it should still be fine. If it was left sitting open it will have lost a lot of strength.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Re: Does Muriatic Acid Lose Potency?

I had some left over from at least 7 years ago and when I added it I hit the proper target so you're likely good to use it and consider it full strength.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!