Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pumps should not be running while people are in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

pumps should not be running while people are in the pool

This side conversation has been split off of this topic.

The Intex manual states that the pumps should not be running while people are in the pool. It even says it on the side of the pool. This site should not promote going against the manufactures recommendations.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming with pump on

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken View Post
    This site should not promote going against the manufactures recommendations.
    ..........nobody did.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Can we use the pool while the filter pump is operating? Is it safe?

No, due to various local, state, national and international standards, the filter pump is not to be operating if pool is in use and/or occupied, although it is safe and has complied with UL, CSA, ETL, and EN safety standards

4. Back To Top    #4

No, due to various local, state, national and international standards, the filter pump is not to be operating if pool is in use and/or occupied, although it is safe and has complied with UL, CSA, ETL, and EN safety standards
    Please cite a source for this.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Please cite a source for this.
    That is from the Intex web site FAQ

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by POPPA S View Post
    well use ours, (sand filter) when the grand kids want to play under the fountain!! turn pump to recirculate, close skimmer, open valve on fountain, play. Note : we do have original suction port in operation.
    You are going against the recommendation of the Intex. Quite the gamble especially with your grandkids.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Some of the Intex pumps are not certified for use while people are in the pool. Other Intex pumps, and nearly every pump of any other brand is fine to be used while people are in the pool. Check your pump manual. They will explicitly state if it is a problem, might not say anything if it is fine.
    Much to my surprise, this was called out to me a few months ago on the forum. I can't see any advantage in continuing the discussion much beyond this point.
    21.) Is it safe to swim in the pool while the Saltwater System is operating?

Due to various local, state, national and international standards, do not operate the device when pool is in use and/or occupied.
    It seems really clear to me. I know we can all dig for exceptions and outliers but it seems so easy to simply say "don't do it" (especially when you consider the quality of the Intex Pool to begin with)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: pumps should not be running while people are in the pool

Remember, 1380ken's point only applies to certain specific Intex pumps, well most Intex pumps, but not all Intex pumps, and not to 99.9% of pumps of other brands. The Intex pumps this applies to are clearly marked as not suitable for use when there are people in the pool.

In order to save money, most of the less expensive Intex pumps skimp on safety features and/or safety certifications that essentially everyone else simply includes in all of their products as standard features.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I was unable to find this on the Intex website. However that being said on my particular pump; in the middle of the page long fine print list of warnings it does say "do not operate while the pool is occupied". It does not state whether this is because of a "shock" hazard, or entrapment hazard, or what.

My pump is run from a seasonally tested ground fault protected circuit. We do occupy the pool while the pump is running, while I do understand that the manufacture has provided themselves legal protection by warning me not to for reasons they do not go into. However I also don't make my kids wear helmets while riding bikes, and typically don't use germ X outside of hospitals. So perhaps I'm living life on the edge. But I don't smoke, and I do wear seat belts so then again maybe not.

That being said I recommend everybody read and understand all the documentation provided with their equiptment.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: pumps should not be running while people are in the pool

The pump has a UL rating so it is safe in terms of shock hazard. However, I don't believe the issue is with shock. I think the issue is with entrapment. Intex pools do not have safety covers on the suction lines nor a split suction line so the suction could be high enough to trap a body part. If they had skimmers instead of just a simple port, it might not be an issue.

Also, here is a statement on their web site: http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/faq

No, due to various local, state, national and international standards, the filter pump is not to be operating if pool is in use and/or occupied, although it is safe and has complied with UL, CSA, ETL, and EN safety standards.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater