I'm Thinking of Making a Bypass to Replace my SWG in the Winter.

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
First of all, even if it's "off" it's pulling current to read salt level, etc.

I'm wondering if this will extend the life of the cell?

Also, I take a lot of vacations so I won't worry about it getting stolen. Hasn't happened to anyone I know, but it could.

Also, I'm thinking of putting in a dedicated circuit breaker for the SWG so I can shut just it off, while the pump runs.

Any ideas?

If the SWG is wired correctly, it should go to the timer for the pump. So that the SWG would only have power when the pump is running.

There is no problem removing the cell when you do not need it. Hayward sells a blank pipe to install in their cell's place. Many use proprietary union fittings, so might be hard to make one.

I posted detail schematics with parts at the time we setup one of the family pools about 4 years ago, using a macromatic current control relay to sense the power used by the pump. The relay in turn either turns On the Pentair IntelliChlor transformer when power over a certain value or it turns Off the transformer when pump drops down to a very low speed. Very simple to setup and a 120v relay controls easily a 240v system since it is simply a switch.

Cost was less than 90 and about 1 hour in connecting box and wires on wall.

Disclaimer ... I am not an electrician but this was very simple and the Macromatic has customer support that walked me through the process.

When I replaced a cell last year I kept the dead one for just this reason. I take the new one in for the winter to keep it out of the elements and put the dead one in to keep critters out. I've been meaning to cut the cord (literally) on the dead one so I know which is which.

I dumped mine before I had a chance to think about it. Typical me... :(<

I'm going to make one if I can find the correct unions. The treads are different, depending on brand. I hear American Valve is compatible.

SUSA, can you link me to your schematic?

When I replaced a cell last year I kept the dead one for just this reason. I take the new one in for the winter to keep it out of the elements and put the dead one in to keep critters out. I've been meaning to cut the cord (literally) on the dead one so I know which is which.

I knew there was a reason for me not throwing out the old one. Thanks for the idea and I'll be implementing this this winter for myself. And it does for a couple of weeks get into the 30's for those of you that were wondering. Very rarely does it get to freezing temperatures though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.