Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm Thinking of Making a Bypass to Replace my SWG in the Winter.

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm Thinking of Making a Bypass to Replace my SWG in the Winter.

First of all, even if it's "off" it's pulling current to read salt level, etc.

I'm wondering if this will extend the life of the cell?

Also, I take a lot of vacations so I won't worry about it getting stolen. Hasn't happened to anyone I know, but it could.

Also, I'm thinking of putting in a dedicated circuit breaker for the SWG so I can shut just it off, while the pump runs.

Any ideas?
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm Thinking of Making a Bypass to Replace my SWG in the Winter.

If the SWG is wired correctly, it should go to the timer for the pump. So that the SWG would only have power when the pump is running.

There is no problem removing the cell when you do not need it. Hayward sells a blank pipe to install in their cell's place. Many use proprietary union fittings, so might be hard to make one.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm thinking of adding an additional breaker, dedicated to the SWG, so I can cut power to it in the winter when the pump is running.
    My Ideal Specs:
    TAYLOR K - 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I posted detail schematics with parts at the time we setup one of the family pools about 4 years ago, using a macromatic current control relay to sense the power used by the pump. The relay in turn either turns On the Pentair IntelliChlor transformer when power over a certain value or it turns Off the transformer when pump drops down to a very low speed. Very simple to setup and a 120v relay controls easily a 240v system since it is simply a switch.

Cost was less than 90 and about 1 hour in connecting box and wires on wall.

Disclaimer ... I am not an electrician but this was very simple and the Macromatic has customer support that walked me through the process.

5. Back To Top    #5

i bought a dummy pipe to replace the SWG. Keeps it out of the elements in my garage for the cold parts of the winter.
    12k gal IG gunite, hayward cartridge filter, hayward ecostar VS pump, prologic controller, swg, polaris 280, built July 2012

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
    i bought a dummy pipe to replace the SWG. Keeps it out of the elements in my garage for the cold parts of the winter.
    You mean when it gets down to 40?
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

7. Back To Top    #7

My swg stops generating chlorine at supposedy 50 but, when I installed it it actually stopped at 56 both the box and pool thermometer read the same.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

When I replaced a cell last year I kept the dead one for just this reason. I take the new one in for the winter to keep it out of the elements and put the dead one in to keep critters out. I've been meaning to cut the cord (literally) on the dead one so I know which is which.

9. Back To Top    #9

I dumped mine before I had a chance to think about it. Typical me... <

I'm going to make one if I can find the correct unions. The treads are different, depending on brand. I hear American Valve is compatible.

SUSA, can you link me to your schematic?
    My Ideal Specs:
    TAYLOR K - 2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mmcgovern View Post
    When I replaced a cell last year I kept the dead one for just this reason. I take the new one in for the winter to keep it out of the elements and put the dead one in to keep critters out. I've been meaning to cut the cord (literally) on the dead one so I know which is which.
    I knew there was a reason for me not throwing out the old one. Thanks for the idea and I'll be implementing this this winter for myself. And it does for a couple of weeks get into the 30's for those of you that were wondering. Very rarely does it get to freezing temperatures though.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997