Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Constant pH Bounce

1. Back To Top    #1

Toronto Ontario

Constant pH Bounce

Hi, just wanted to find some information on why my pool's pH is increasing from 7.5 to 7.9 after every night. I adjust the pH with muriatic acid every morning to get it down to 7.5 but when I test it the following morning its right back up to 7.9. I have a 30000 Gallong gunite pool with a water fall from the hot tub. I use copper ionization as my sanitization method. So far I have lowered the waterfall strength so there is less aeration but pH is still rising everynight. Do you think my copper ionization method or old sand filter (12 years old) has anything to do with this?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Constant pH Bounce

Welcome to TFP!

There are two things that will cause this problem. The first is freshly applied plaster will do this (or worse) for about the first month after the plaster is applied. The second is when your TA is too high. When you are having PH drift problems, and don't have fresh plaster, lower TA to around 60 and see if that helps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School