Pool renovation/Central California

TerriM

Jul 30, 2014
Linden, CA
Pretty unhappy with the concrete work on the pool renovation. Removed flagstone edging on half the pool and replaced with concrete deck coping. Salesman indicated that the new coping would match the old - and frankly it doesn't. The bullnose radius is obviously smaller, to my eyes at least. There's a sag over one of the skimmers and the bottom coping edge seems very rough to me. I did not notice the sag or the rough coping bottom on the day of the pour, because I was fixated on the radius differences. Photos are attached - is this standard workmanship? The grey mastic does a good job hiding the rough edges from a distance.

Attachments

• P1010239.jpg
    P1010239.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 122
  • P1010237.jpg
    P1010237.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 119
  • P1010244.jpg
    P1010244.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 118
Any comments would be most welcome. At this point, I am thinking we just got an inferior concrete job - last cash payment is due today to the pool company - and I've already written them a check for the concrete work. Hubby is not sure I should write the last check until this is resolved. Any advice from anyone with more experience than I have?

Once you make final payment on anything response drops.if you are unhappy with anything the pool builder has done to this point you should bring it up before final payment. What motivation would he have to make you happy once he is?

Agreed - the contract was written for payment at each stage - so the last payment is ostensibly for the solar heating system, which is working fine. I have already written checks for demo, concrete, tile and PebbleTec upon work completion. Any comments as to the bottom finish edge on the coping? I know the skimmer is a mess. Questioning my own judgement.

Flagstone and a cut-in garden were on about half the perimeter of the pool. That was replaced with concrete deck with coping included - continuous. Pool company did call today for the last payment ( after their reps had been out today) and I explained I would complete the last payment when the concrete issue was settled to my satisfaction. Had two knowledgeable craftsmen (one with pool experience) stop by this afternoon and they also agreed with me that this is not the way the concrete coping edge should look. Concrete subcontractor is coming by tomorrow to "look" but I believe he knows darned well this edging is subpar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.