Winter Covers?

Jun 10, 2014
Heiskell, TN
Hi All

I know its just August and a bit early but I tend to plan ahead. This is my 1st year with a AG pool and was wanting to know your opions on winter covers. I've read and read post after post by doing a search and here's what I'm sure of:

1. I'm going to try a leaf net over the cover as we are surrounded by a lot of trees
2. I think I'm gonig to go with a pillow to keep water from accumulating in the middle of the cover
3. I'm going to hire the setup team to teach me how to properly close my pool as I have a zillion questions

Here's where I'm not sure:

Mesh cover that allows the rain to seep thru the cover into the pool OR
solid cover that I need to periodlically pump water off of

seems like with mesh you'd end up with very dirty pool water and can you get too much water in the pool?

Pumping water off a solid cover seems like a pain in the cold plus an added expense of buying a pump

that said - any recommedations on a decent, fairly priced (not overpriced) cover?

Thanks all!
Chris

*not sure where my signature info is, so

24' AG
sand filter
installed June 2014

For my winter cover I use one that has a mesh strip down the middle of it. I also use a leaf net.
That type of winter cover eliminates having to pump the water off. It doesn't make the water dirty. It may let some silt get by, but nothing that can't be cleaned up with a vacuum in the spring. I also use an aquador over my skimmer opening for the winter. If the water level gets too high in the pool I just drain some off.
As for closing I use the aquador and plug the return. I pull the pump and filter when the water temp gets to 50. Then I bring the FC up to SALM level and it's good to go. I opened the pool to crystal clear water with the FC level at 4. That was 4 1/2 months with no attention to the water chemistry. The whole key is closing when the water temp is below 60 and opening before the water temp reaches 60.

I don't really have anything to add except I am following this thread because I have the same questions! This is my first year with our pool and it want to make sure I close properly. I DID however, have a mesh like cover that the old owners had left on the pool over the winter, and when we pulled it off to open our pool water looked like tea. So I'm thinking a solid cover but still looking into it as well.

We use the black tarp looking cover from Lowes. It is a pool cover. Seems like they are about $100. We dont use a pump for that. We have about 1/2" clear tubing taped to a stick to stick it out towards the middle and siphon it out. It takes a while to siphon most times and can freeze up in winter but we havent had any problems from this setup. Certainly easier and cheaper than fooling with a pump.

I do have a utility pump I start using about mid winter. Peel the cover back and stick it in the pool. Test water, maybe add bleach and let it circulate and mix the water for a little while. Have to use it more towards spring/opening since the water gets warmer but opening to a crystal clear pool is worth it and not having to shock it first. Something you to think about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used a solid winter cover, adding a leaf net on top is better, I did not and now the cover if filled with rain water and leafs, it will be a pain when I have to take of the cover.

I found winter cover for $60 on amazon, and also 10' double tubes were $5, I bought 6 of those.

You don't have to worry about pumping water, let it fill up, there is no harm, it will flow out to the pool deck and drain I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.